Sulcata genetics....hope this isn't to nerdy.

Waltumus

Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I have a question that I tried to look for in the forum but could not find. When I enjoy something like taking care of my Sulcata. I like to know as much as possible, so I've been studying the looks of the diffrent sulcata tortoises I see online. I see some sulcata tortoises with high dome shells and some that seem very low, and I'm not talking about pyramiding. As well I see some with darker colors and some with lighter colors. Is this random genetics that are all throughout the Sub Sahara, or are these genetic traits regional spicific? Does diet play a role in any of this, since the food might vary slightly depending on the location.

Thanks for any input. I feel like the more knowledge, the better I can be as a owner.

I also included some fun pics of my buddy.

Attachments

• 1464825172086.jpg
    1464825172086.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 1464825185501.jpg
    1464825185501.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I like this question, but since I have only been keeping sulcatas for 20 years and live in the middle atlantic states area on the east coast, I will listen to the MOD, and let the experts according to her weigh in.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sure that wasn't her intention, Len. Please give us your VALUED opinion!!! I thoroughly enjoy your pictures and comments on the Gardening thread and LOVE to see pictures and commentary on your big sulcata (well, and the others too, of course).

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I like this question, but since I have only been keeping sulcatas for 20 years and live in the middle atlantic states area on the east coast, I will listen to the MOD, and let the experts according to her weigh in.
I don't know everyone or what they have. I do know that the two I listed have or had Sudans. i also know that Tom posts and helps a lot. Some members don't or do only when they can be snippy.

Waltumus

Central Florida
I'm open to hearing all opinions, and ideas. I know this might be purely speculation ,but could elevation even play a role in the evolution of shell growth over many generations of sulcatas.
africa.gif
sullymapsulcatastationorg.gif

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I'll further break copyright and post in a few parts the book about sulcata. After all they copied the format style of CC&B, so I guess it's fair. If they really cared that much they would reprint it. I'll put the first part on later tonight or tomorrow. No great insight other than to alert you to the idea it's sorta a difficult question to nail down an answer regarding phenotype with genetype.

That elevation layer is only one component and it plays a role no doubt. But there is also an role with Humidity, aspect, slope, soil type, other species, cloud cover, marine influence, micro-climate. Many factors and ways an individual, small micro population and the meta population might respond. Then the idea that people have traded sulcata about like money during different periods of time when people directly influenced them. The people influence is recent in the big time aspect of the picture which obscures the space attributes listed here.

Last edited:

Waltumus

Central Florida
I'll further break copyright and post in a few parts the book about sulcata. After all they copied the format style of CC&B, so I guess it's fair. If they really cared that much they would reprint it. I'll put the first part on later tonight or tomorrow. No great insight other than to alert you to the idea it's sorta a difficult question to nail down an answer regarding phenotype with genetype.
Thank you @Will. I look forward to reading it.