Difference color of shell

Tort_nube

So I recently received my sulcata hatchling around 2 weeks ago. I've been doing a lot of research and studying both on this site and others and I've seen a variety of different shell colors for sulcata tortoises. I've seen darker almost black looking shells, I've seen light brown shells, and I've seen the light carmel looking shell it appears most hatchlings have. I was wondering what causes the difference in color? Is it simply the growth and developmental phases or can it be the result of how much UVA AND UVB light a tortoise has exposure to?

Tort_nube

What determines a sulcata tortoises shell color? Is it the age? Is it exposure to UVA or UVB light? I've seen light brown shells black shells and other colors looking at sulcata tortoises and I'm just wondering what factors lead to the shell color.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Age, size, and how much time they spend outside or underground are all big factors.

Prairie Mom

I haven't had my tortoise super long and I suspect she was kept inside before she came to us. Her shell was extremely dark brown -very different from others I had seen pictures of. The more my tortoise is in natural sunlight the lighter her shell seems to be getting. Her shell is already very different now than it was simply at the beginning of this summer.