Sulcata flipped over, any ideas on how to prevent this?

LaRue

I haven't posted in awhile, but I'm here daily reading. Still I just can't seem to get our Tortoise Rocky (5") in a safe environment. Today I had him outside in what we thought was a totally safe spot. Yet he managed to flipped over on his back. It was no longer then 2 hours since checking on him. Looking around I believe he simply got up on the wall (house slab) and tipped over all by himself. Ground is flat mud there. He stays in this mud, eatting the grass at the edge. How can I prevent this? I image he could do this inside too. I can't believe everyone is watching their torts more closely. I just don't know what to do with him. He paces in his cage, thought his Temps are good, 79 to 80 degrees, spot light 90 to 92. Humid 75 to 80%. He can't see out either enclosure. Outside he eats and seems content, hot and humid here, plenty to eat. We were leaving him out 8 hours a day, checking every 2 hours or less, but now I'm worried if he's hurt, and will he flip over again.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
Once they get past a certain size, they aren't in much danger of flipping. Some of them flip more than others, particularly those who love to climb.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post a pic of his area and we might be able to give suggestions on how to flip proof it.

LaRue

Post a pic of his area and we might be able to give suggestions on how to flip proof it.
I'll take a better picture of the area tomorrow, but this is the spot I found him. He stays in the mud area, doesn't go in the grass. Just to the edge of the dirt to eat. He's been out here for weeks, and first time he flipped.

Attachments

• 1471311331916.jpg
    1471311331916.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 57

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'll take a better picture of the area tomorrow, but this is the spot I found him. He stays in the mud area, doesn't go in the grass. Just to the edge of the dirt to eat. He's been out here for weeks, and first time he flipped.
A pic of the whole enclosure would be better.

LaRue

A pic of the whole enclosure would be better.
Here's the pictures, sorry for the delay. This is a temporary enclosure. We planned to make a better one this winter. However, we are concerned that we are not doing so well with him. So any insight would be very welcomed. Thanks

Attachments

• 1471355913487.jpg
    1471355913487.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 1471355928848.jpg
    1471355928848.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 38

LaRue

Hi :) I'm remembering another member's thread who was really struggling with flipping. There were some really good conversations about it and even a link or two to other threads. It may be worth your time to take a look at this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-keep-pacing-and-climbing-wall.130046/
Prairie mom- I read that one and the link you posted in that thread. I see two things, one Rocky has 3 hides out there, one is a tiny flower pot under the biggest rose bush, and it's where he prefers. He tries to dig in there but can't. So that could be upsetting him. One is concrete blocks with slate over it and under that red sand table. It can be 97 out there, and that area is 87 degrees. He used to always go in that one, but his path got covered in grass, and he does not like walking in the grass, even freshly cut grass. His legs are so small, it takes effort. The last is what I thought was the best, but he hates it. It's a super deep bucket bury in the soil at a downward angle. It has a lot of coconut coir in there for digging. But he don't ever go in it. The front is blocked off so he can't fail. Also he was not in a corner when he flipped, he was against the house slab.

TortoiseMomma

San Mateo, CA
Once they get past a certain size, they aren't in much danger of flipping. Some of them flip more than others, particularly those who love to climb.

Our BIG guy, 85 pounds, flipped yesterday. Don't know exactly how it happened, his "tortoise cam" was pointing the other direction. I think he may have been scratching around just inside his hut and got too high on the wall, we found him on his back in the grass right outside the door to his hut. We have now re aimed the tortoise cam to the scene of the crime to monitor exactly what is going on in case it happens again. Once we righted him he did a couple laps around the yard and then went back in his hut, so we think he is OK . . . but scary!!!

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Our BIG guy, 85 pounds, flipped yesterday. Don't know exactly how it happened, his "tortoise cam" was pointing the other direction. I think he may have been scratching around just inside his hut and got too high on the wall, we found him on his back in the grass right outside the door to his hut. We have now re aimed the tortoise cam to the scene of the crime to monitor exactly what is going on in case it happens again. Once we righted him he did a couple laps around the yard and then went back in his hut, so we think he is OK . . . but scary!!!
That is very scary!