Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I'm so sorry for your loss... My heart hurts for you :(

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
It's not uncommon for a medium-to-large sully (or any other species) to expire on their back...but it shouldn't happen to a juvenile unless it's under a (strong) heat source. In any event, my condolences. We can't watch over them all the time. A friend of mine just bought a sully baby, put it outside for a bit...and when he turned his back for a minute...a crow snatched it up...less than 24 hours after he acquired it!

Probably not as bad as turning your back for a minute while your 6-year-old son gets yanked through a wood chipper...GOD! I still can't get that story outta my head!

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
DeanS said:
It's not uncommon for a medium-to-large sully (or any other species) to expire on their back...but it shouldn't happen to a juvenile unless it's under a (strong) heat source. In any event, my condolences. We can't watch over them all the time. A friend of mine just bought a sully baby, put it outside for a bit...and when he turned his back for a minute...a crow snatched it up...less than 24 hours after he acquired it!

Probably not as bad as turning your back for a minute while your 6-year-old son gets yanked through a wood chipper...GOD! I still can't get that story outta my head!

OMG! I have never heard of that story about the 6 yr old!!! :(

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
MORTYtheTORTY said:
DeanS said:

Just happened last week in CT...here's the link
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...illed-wood-chipper-accident-article-1.1059758

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
DeanS said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
DeanS said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...illed-wood-chipper-accident-article-1.1059758

OMG I'm tearing! That's aweful...I had a vision of it just reading it and that's such an awful way to go! Kids are very hard and such a handful that anything can go wrong with a blink of an eye...there's never a break with kids around...gbless that family and RIP to the kid...I know how it feels to lose a child and it's the worst thing anyone would ever go through, my heart goes out to them. I've been thinking about that all day, I just keep visioning the whole incident and can't get it outta my head.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
MORTYtheTORTY said:
DeanS said:
MORTYtheTORTY said:
DeanS said:

OMG I'm tearing! That's aweful...I had a vision of it just reading it and that's such an awful way to go! Kids are very hard and such a handful that anything can go wrong with a blink of an eye...there's never a break with kids around...gbless that family and RIP to the kid...I know how it feels to lose a child and it's the worst thing anyone would ever go through, my heart goes out to them. I've been thinking about that all day, I just keep visioning the whole incident and can't get it outta my head.

I hear ya! I've got a 6-year-old...and he is a handful! I'll say one thing...I'll never take anything for granted again when it comes to the little ones!

mike est

5 Year Member
Some time ago i went to a reptile store and there were like 20 sulcatas hatchlings in a 10 gallon tank, some of them were in their back, i told the store worker about it , but he told me that they have to learn to get back on their feet by themself, there is nothing to worry he said... IF i see him again i will show him this thread put some education in him .... So sorry for your lost

MnM10

5 Year Member
that is so heartbreaking :(( .. and exactly what i'm worried about.. my condolences

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
mike est said:
Some time ago i went to a reptile store and there were like 20 sulcatas hatchlings in a 10 gallon tank, some of them were in their back, i told the store worker about it , but he told me that they have to learn to get back on their feet by themself, there is nothing to worry he said... IF i see him again i will show him this thread put some education in him .... So sorry for your lost

WOW! Even over here...there was a leo hatchling that was flipped over and I told the guy and he said the same thing!! If I was working I'd freak out and flip them back...why would you wait till they flip over by themselves? What if they don't? ignorant...they don't give a hoot about them and only making an extra buck.

danny00

5 Year Member
Sorry for your loss he or she is in a better place now. Its always heartbreaking to hear that a tort has passed.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
They can and do learn to flip back. So in a sense the store worker was right. However, you need to give them the things to push against to roll over... and keep an eye in case anyone is on their back for too long. If it's more than 5 or 10 minutes I'd flip it myself.

I'm a great believer in letting tortoises learn to climb safely. give them things to climb and things to use when flipping back... but take out the climbing stuff if you're not going to be around.

Budforever442200's story is a tragedy... I too would be devastated... and sometimes there is nothing you can do to stop them getting into trouble :(

These youtube videos show Pancake tortoises (not mine) that have learned to flip back... one is better at it than the other.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Wk0jwnkT8&feature=youtu.be[/video]
[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSCJ...pcFMzUgscY_L-0G1gD4gjPUtjJVqF6q5vEPk=[/video]

*Barracuda_50*

5 Year Member
Harrietta, MI
:( Very sorry for your loss, i worry bout the babies all the time and am always checking on them to make sure they are not flipped over.

MORTYtheTORTY

5 Year Member
Cali
@joesmum: those vids are awesome and I know it's sad that they flip but those torty's are def good at flipping back over and I laughed in each video cuz they look so cute doing it! I think it's easier for them because their shells are flatter against the ground helping them manuever their heads to flip back but my lil 2 month old sulcatas cannot flip back for nothing...they are so fat and plump that their front (head/arms) look like lil hermit crabs cuz their shells are so round. They don't even attempt to flip back and they just freak out by wiggling like a fish outta water and they go crazy so I have to flip them every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.