He flipped over!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenley

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix, Az
I'm not sure how he did it but I just found him on his back!! Will he be ok? I flipped him right over and he started walking around. I looked at him about 8 min ago and he wasn't on his back...sometime between 8 minutes and now he flipped!! :( Anything I should watch for? Should I spray him down right now?

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
If it was just for 8 minutes or less, I wouldn't worry. Usually when one of my little ones flip over, I turn them over slowly and give them a soak right after. The only times I think you should worry is when they've flipped over for long amounts of time and/or right under a heat source. See what others say.. but if your guy is eating, pooping, drinking, and is active, chances are he's just another daredevil.

Jenley

5 Year Member
Phoenix, Az
He is chowing walked around for a little bit and is now attacking some of his dinner. This is a good sign right? I think I almost had a heart attack when I saw him on his back.

algoroth1

5 Year Member
South Florida
Jenley said:
I'm not sure how he did it but I just found him on his back!! Will he be ok? I flipped him right over and he started walking around. I looked at him about 8 min ago and he wasn't on his back...sometime between 8 minutes and now he flipped!! :( Anything I should watch for? Should I spray him down right now?
A lot depends on the enclosure. Sometimes they can flip as they try to climb up the perpendicular wall of the cage. Are there things in the enclosure he can walk up and fall off of? Unless there is another tortoise around, flipping is usually the result of (attempted) climbing. If he's only been on his back a few minutes he should be fine. If you do find him flipped, handle him gently. I worry that if you flip them back too quickly their innards might not settle quite right. Nothing scientific about the idea, but it can't hurt to handle them as slowly as they live. Let us know and good luck.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
He's fine. I think he's just testing you :p Trust me, that probably won't be the last time you find him on his back. Try and find what he could have flipped himself on, fix it if you can, and relax a bit. It's nerve wracking when you're a first time parent to anything.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, he will probably be fine. I would try to find what made him flip and fix it or remove it. If it was possibly a corner, put a piece of wood across the inside of the corner, so it is no longer a corner. If its a hide, rock or log, you can bury them so they are just a little above ground level.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Just out of simple curiosity, why do we suggest soaking after torts flip?

Omaha just flipped. Fortunately, this was only the second time in the three months I've had him. Unfortunately, I don't know for how long this time because I wasn't home. I saw him three hours before finding him on his back, sprawled out with a fresh poo dropped.

Of course, I soaked him because it never hurts to soak. But, it left me wondering why. Simply due to lack of access to water?

IRTehDuckie

5 Year Member
Utica. MI
lol my tort has never flipped over once, but my little one, the one thats 'my gramas' (really i take care of it etc, but its ''hers'') anyways! that one flips over all the freakin time. like it has no balance haha i swear sometimes it just walking and will flip over haha, but we know it usually does this so we always watch out for her =] so crazy how all torts are so different!!

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
I read somewhere that when they get flipped over the stress dehydrates them quickly. Whenever we find lily flipped we give her a soak. It's usually when we've been gone and she has run out of food or is bored (hasn't had enough exercise outside of her habitat) that it happens. I think that she starts trying to climb the wall or in the corner and then gets flipped over. It never happens in her round swimming pool indoor exercise pen.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
You need to make sure that he can't see over the wall. The wall will need to be higher. Have you actually watched when he flipped? Whatever he's flipping over must be corrected. I had a hid that my baby tort tried to climb, and he would flip. I had to practically bury the hide in order to make sure be couldn't climb it. You need to take time and watch him. If you find what he's doing that makes him flip over, correct it. I wouldn't worry about a flip of a few minutes, but if he's on his back for hours especially outside in the sun or in a heat source, that can kill your tort.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
NickWag said:
Just out of simple curiosity, why do we suggest soaking after torts flip?

Omaha just flipped. Fortunately, this was only the second time in the three months I've had him. Unfortunately, I don't know for how long this time because I wasn't home. I saw him three hours before finding him on his back, sprawled out with a fresh poo dropped.

Of course, I soaked him because it never hurts to soak. But, it left me wondering why. Simply due to lack of access to water?

I've read that if a tortoise is frightened (ie. flipped on its back, picked up) it might empty its bladder. With the combination of that, stress, and being immobilized and unable to drink when he wanted, I'd rather be safe than sorry and soak the little bugger. Also, if the tort was under a heat source when flipped, chances are he's dehydrated.

NickWag

5 Year Member
Mandeville, LA
Good explanations, y'all! And, I absolutely agree on safe, rather than sorry. I was just curious about the reasoning. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.