Sulcata enclosures

Csalazar250

Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas
So we separated our tortoises and they now have their own homes! But was just curious to see if you guys see anything wrong or anything that should be added to the homes. We cover the tank with a towel to keep the humidity levels right for them. The one in the little tank is the one we are kind of concerned about because she’s been lazy lately. View attachment 222279View attachment 222280
View attachment 222281

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
So we separated our tortoises and they now have their own homes! But was just curious to see if you guys see anything wrong or anything that should be added to the homes. We cover the tank with a towel to keep the humidity levels right for them. The one in the little tank is the one we are kind of concerned about because she’s been lazy lately. View attachment 222279View attachment 222280
View attachment 222281

“Laziness” is almost always due to incorrect temperatures. Too cold or too hot.

You need to know warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum in each enclosure. A temperature gun like this is the best way to measure spot temperatures.

Unfortunately I cannot see your photos - they show as locked so I cannot comment further.

Bass.Isles

@JoesMum is correct in that the general malaise is almost always directly related to incorrect temperatures. As for the first two pics, what does he/she sleep in? Most torts, in my experience, like a hidey hut or some kind of small (covered, kind of enclosed) shelter to sleep in. Kind of like how a burrow would feel. Like, safe - not just sleeping out in the open. And, in that 3rd pic, whatever the sculpture looking thing is, it's cool for climbing, IF you are gonna sit and constantly monitor your tort so you can quickly flip it back over when it falls... because it is absolutely GOING to fall off, at some point. Your babies look pretty small, it's usually recommended for there not to be anything they are going to climb up and fall off of.

Csalazar250

Las Vegas
@JoesMum is correct in that the general malaise is almost always directly related to incorrect temperatures. As for the first two pics, what does he/she sleep in? Most torts, in my experience, like a hidey hut or some kind of small (covered, kind of enclosed) shelter to sleep in. Kind of like how a burrow would feel. Like, safe - not just sleeping out in the open. And, in that 3rd pic, whatever the sculpture looking thing is, it's cool for climbing, IF you are gonna sit and constantly monitor your tort so you can quickly flip it back over when it falls... because it is absolutely GOING to fall off, at some point. Your babies look pretty small, it's usually recommended for there not to be anything they are going to climb up and fall off of.

She has a pretty cozy hide it just doesn’t show in the pic. Her enclosure is actually two levels, I created a hill (with barriers so she doesn’t fall) and underneath that is her hide. And as for the other enclosure that is a piece of wood that we’re going to create into a second hide the pic just shows the rough draft on how we’re going to create it and she can’t climb on it

Bass.Isles

Sounds good. Do you have a temp gun? What size enclosure do they each have access to? I can't tell quite how big the spaces are.

Csalazar250

Las Vegas
“Laziness” is almost always due to incorrect temperatures. Too cold or too hot.

You need to know warm side, cool side, directly under the basking lamp and overnight minimum in each enclosure. A temperature gun like this is the best way to measure spot temperatures.

Unfortunately I cannot see your photos - they show as locked so I cannot comment further.

We actually just switched them into different tanks today so I think she just hasn’t got back to her normal routine

Csalazar250

Las Vegas
Sounds good. Do you have a temp gun? What size enclosure do they each have access to? I can't tell quite how big the spaces are.

It’s pretty roomie I would say it’s a 50 gallon tank and a 30 gallon tank, the 30 gallon tank is the one we created with two levels to give her more space to roam around in and be more active in. And no but we have thermometers which currently sit at 93 degrees.

Bass.Isles

It’s pretty roomie I would say it’s a 50 gallon tank and a 30 gallon tank, the 30 gallon tank is the one we created with two levels to give her more space to roam around in and be more active in. And no but we have thermometers which currently sit at 93 degrees.
Okay, there's a way for them to retreat to a slightly cooler temp though, right? Like maybe 88 or 89°? And a basking spot that's like 100° or so? You might wanna ask @Tom about how to accomplish those temps (that they need, require) though, in enclosures of your size.