Wanting to adopt sulcata we live in Florida

Katie11

Location (City and/or State)
Baker fl
We already have a 70 lb Male and love him so much...we want to add another joy to our life as we have any empty enclosure all ready to go...we also currently are caring for a leopard tortoise while a girl is at school...so I have references about the shape and my care for current tort residences...we don't want to buy as we know there are too many that already need forever homes...but are willing to pay shipping if possible...if you guys know of any tort needing a forever home...please let me know..thanks u guys

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just to be sure, you do know that tortoises, specially sulcata can not be kept in pairs
Also the leopard can't live with a sulcata in the same enclosure as species should never be mixed.
That said, @ALDABRAMAN may be able to help on where to look for rescues if you're in his area.
@ZEROPILOT also might be able to help if you're in his area.

Katie11

Baker fl
Just to be sure, you do know that tortoises, specially sulcata can not be kept in pairs
Also the leopard can't live with a sulcata in the same enclosure as species should never be mixed.
That said, @ALDABRAMAN may be able to help on where to look for rescues if you're in his area.
I know. I asked Tom that awhile back that's why we built several enclosures and our first double door tortoise 2 room condo. This past spring we did add one so now we have a vacancy that we want put to good use with another happy tort. I'll probably building more enclosures and boxes this winter to add more adoptees next spring.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know. I asked Tom that awhile back that's why we built several enclosures and our first double door tortoise 2 room condo. This past spring we did add one so now we have a vacancy that we want put to good use with another happy tort. I'll probably building more enclosures and boxes this winter to add more adoptees next spring.
I don't want to spill the beans yet, but I'm looking into an option for you right now. Might be wonderful for all involved.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I figured you already knew when you mentioned an empty spot just wanted to be sure.
I like the sound of the tortoise condo. Be sure to share pics, specially of the residents.
Good luck, looking forward to seeing if Tom's option works out for you.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoot are definitely Floridas most common pet tortoise.
However, as far as unwanted tortoises. Tortoises that have overwhelmed the owner. It's Sulcata 4 to 1.
I suggest you post a WANTED ad in your local Craigslist for a Sulcata and mention that you can provide a loving and PERMANENT home.
Most keepers that are out there want their tort to get the space and care that they need and not be too harsh on the price.

Katie11

Baker fl
The flowers are in full bloom around the enclosures...of course the sully is Tank and the lil leopard is Cleo I'm fostering for a few years

Attachments

• 20210529_162726.jpg
    20210529_162726.jpg
    904.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210516_154625.jpg
    20210516_154625.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 20210516_154009.jpg
    20210516_154009.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Nice looking property. Lots of sun yet lots of nice shady trees.
Of course the real stars are the great looking torts.