My sulcata has a soft belly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayeff

5 Year Member
My 8 month old sulcata have a soft belly like near where the yolk sack is. The rest of the shell is fine(hard). It has good appetite. So everything else is fine. No deformities. I gently pressed on the belly and its like his belly is empty... not really soft... kinda soft (like my red-neck's belly but it's lived for 11 years).

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
el paso tx
my desert turtles bellies would get soft and then they would die when i tried to raise them indoors. they need vitamin d which they get from sunlight. I would try to find a supplement vitamin d quickly and get them real sunshine if they dont have it already !!!

Emorales

5 Year Member
Southern California
Oscar got like that for a while, but we were feeding him spinach which I have since been told blocks their absorbtion of calcium. Have stopped giving him spinach and he has gotten much better, also give Calcium/ vitamin D supplement powder 3 times a week and make sure to give time outside in the sun.

Mao Senpai

5 Year Member
North Carolina
If they are young, their bellys are flexible. All of mine were like that when they were young and over time it would get harder and harder. My two leopards are like that still and the new addition is quiet flexible there. It shouldn't be like super super soft but it will flex a little bit and harden over time.

murdocjunior

10 Year Member!
South, Texas
Aww man!!! Mine was like that and ended up dying i wish i could tell u what to do but i dont or else i couldve save Carlos :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
8 month old they can still be soft, the thing you have to answer is was it hard then went soft? ( which is bad) or has it always been soft? ( which is normal) their shells can take quite awhile to harden up, answer those questions and then we can tell you what to do.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
With a good diet, calcium, and UVA/UVB and sun as much as posable he should harden up. Like dmmj said as long as he was not hard then went soft. Be carful adding vitamin D. To much is bad thing.

M

Maggie Cummings

It is very difficult for us to decide if it is the normal softness or a softness that leads to death. So I would suggest that you increase a calcium supplement, sprinkle calcium over every meal. Make sure that you are feeding a good diet and you have a good UVB light. Keep the light on for 12 hours. Depending on where you live putting your little one outside in the sun might be suggested. The sun is important and will help with that softness. If you can't put him outside be sure to sprinkle that calcium over his food everyday. Feed him kale and collards and softened red squash. A good handful of Spring Mix is a decent diet with other food added in. Hope that helps, keep up that calcium until he is hardened...keep us posted

Jayeff

5 Year Member
Thank you guys for all the replies above. I've never touched its belly (the yolk sack area) until yesterday so I dont know if it was hard. When I tapped on it, it's hard. Then I pressed on it, it's a bit soft. But overall it's very active and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.