Suddenly...a leopard tortoise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara, CA
I was just given this lovely boy(?) by someone who was moving and couldn't bring him. He is currently hiding under a flowerpot in my yard, and grazing contentedly. I'm told he is 3 years old and 10" long. He's quite heavy and rather friendly.

Most of the leopard tortoise information I have read pertains to babies, are there any leopard-specific care requirements for adults? I would love to hear your thoughts on his sex and condition. I also adopted two little CDTs from the sanctuary in Arroyo Grande on Sunday, and aside from the usual quarantining and separating it would be neat to get some advice on keeping both. Which is the more fragile species? What are the major care differences?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Leopards could be fragile especially cuz our nights are to cold for them, you def will need a heat hide or bring him indoors for nights, also sometimes our day time highs are to low, but over all they arnt to hard to keep, I watched two for someone going though a rough time, and had them two years, never had an issue I had a heated hide and kept them out side 24/7

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
Great, thanks! I bring everyone in at night because this city is infested with giant mutant raccoons. I'll plan on keeping him inside for the colder days, too.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
No fair! ;) I'm a wee bit jealous...

He's a pretty one. Congrats!

I'm not too sure about your weather but if he were here in my area of So. Cal I'd let him live outside full time with a heated box to retreat to at night. Locked up so nothing could get him, then unlocked in the am to let him out.
I'd let him graze and plant edible plants.
Offer a few terra cotta saucers for water dishes and maybe a weekly soak.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm jealous too. Wish someone would give me a leopard:( I agree with TeamGomberg. I live in the snowy state of Illinois. I am building a insulated heated shed for mine to live outside 24/7, hopefully he will be able to live out there this winter.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Congrats! He's a nice looking guy and big already. Older Leo's are much easier to care for, especially when they can be outside to roam and graze. Temperatures are your main concern - high temps no big deal really as long as you have water and shade. Low temps can cause problems, especially when it is damp or wet. I don't let my adults stay outside under 60 degrees and sunny daytime or 65 at night.

Don't be afraid to ask questions - we all learn that way.

pinkspore

5 Year Member
Santa Barbara, CA
I will get a plastron shot when I have someone here to hold him for me, he's way too big to hold with one hand. Here he is helping my dog hunt for gophers, though.

J REED

5 Year Member
pinkspore said:
I was just given this lovely boy(?) by someone who was moving and couldn't bring him. He is currently hiding under a flowerpot in my yard, and grazing contentedly. I'm told he is 3 years old and 10" long. He's quite heavy and rather friendly.

Most of the leopard tortoise information I have read pertains to babies, are there any leopard-specific care requirements for adults? I would love to hear your thoughts on his sex and condition. I also adopted two little CDTs from the sanctuary in Arroyo Grande on Sunday, and aside from the usual quarantining and separating it would be neat to get some advice on keeping both. Which is the more fragile species? What are the major care differences?

beautiful. cant wait to get my little guy!

J REED

5 Year Member
doesnt seem to take them long to grow to that size.

Status
Not open for further replies.