100%SA leopard or a mix of two subspecies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
Hello guys,I saw a CBB leopard tort in the local pet shop,they told me that it is a 100% South Africa Leopard Tortoise,how do you guys think?I don't know how to tell the differences between a 100% SA Leopard Tortoise and a mix of two subspecies.
d72dda2a6059252d146e5d30369b033b5ab5b9d9.jpg
2z70ndf.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Orange County, So Cal
Usually, it has been said, it is the two dots on the scutes ... but in South Africa some have been seen without the two dots. Then, also said, they have little dots on the skin, like freckles. An expert on the forum also said the nose, how they hold it up but that is an expert eye thing. I am a non expert but that baby to me looks like it could be a GPP, South African. Expert folks will chime in soon! Cute little baby, from here it looks like it needs more humidity, but that could be the angle of the picture. If you do get it, don't forget to keep it's habitat enclosure warm and humid so it does not pyramid. Love the leopards! : )

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
Re: RE: 100%SA leopard or a mix of two subspecies.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
Usually, it has been said, it is the two dots on the scutes ... but in South Africa some have been seen without the two dots. Then, also said, they have little dots on the skin, like freckles. An expert on the forum also said the nose, how they hold it up but that is an expert eye thing. I am a non expert but that baby to me looks like it could be a GPP, South African. Expert folks will chime in soon! Cute little baby, from here it looks like it needs more humidity, but that could be the angle of the picture. If you do get it, don't forget to keep it's habitat enclosure warm and humid so it does not pyramid. Love the leopards! : )

thanks for your reply,I have paid it and would pick this little cute guy back home when my setup is bulit properly,I am using wet Eco earth as the hiding place's substrate and a mix of Zoo Med fir bark and Zoo Med cypress mulch as the enclosure's substrate.I will spray the whole enclosure two times a day.I am wondering if my leopard (babcocki 4inches)would get along with this little guy.

Sent from my M045 using TortForum mobile app

Attachments

• 1379856025056.jpg
    1379856025056.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 164
  • 1379856108721.jpg
    1379856108721.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 148

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Looks like a GPP to me. Your set up is looking good. Couple things. One, bury the water dish to be level with the top of the substrate. Also, a few plants would look nice and give some extra hiding spots and even food for your little one. Incase you need a refresher, Toms threads for smooth and healthy raising are posted below in my post. The sulcata ones will apply.

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
laney said:
Aww he is adorable :)

:D

wellington said:
Looks like a GPP to me. Your set up is looking good. Couple things. One, bury the water dish to be level with the top of the substrate. Also, a few plants would look nice and give some extra hiding spots and even food for your little one. Incase you need a refresher, Toms threads for smooth and healthy raising are posted below in my post. The sulcata ones will apply.

Thanks,I would do some research on what to plant and how to plant the food in the enclosure.I admire Tom very much and have read these important threads for several times.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
ChasingBike said:

WHERE did you get his awesome sliding vivarium?

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
SenjiSandy said:
ChasingBike said:

WHERE did you get his awesome sliding vivarium?

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

I am in China,the seller told me it is from the brand"Rep Pro" and they have exported them to the USA,this is made by wood and has something covered(looks like something that could prevent fire and water)so as to solve the high humidity problem(making the wood enclosure's lifesplan longer)This one is 120cmX60cm(about 120dollars),I have another one (180cmX60cm,about 200dollars) for my adult Redfoot tortoise to get through the cold winter.
I love this enlosure,as it looks good and can hold the humidity and the heat in the winter

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I want one!!! If you can find a link where I can buy one in the US, please let me know!!!!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
The second pic is the enclosure for my baby eastern box turtle

SenjiSandy said:
I want one!!! If you can find a link where I can buy one in the US, please let me know!!!!

Sandy
Oregon Tortoise Rescue

I have PMed the seller,he may be able to find the links,I would let you know when I get his reply.

It is also easy to carry back home and assemble.:D:)

Attachments

• 1379861381680.jpg
    1379861381680.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 124
  • 1379861506002.jpg
    1379861506002.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 1379861589493.jpg
    1379861589493.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 1379862456592.jpg
    1379862456592.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 100
  • 1379862525658.jpg
    1379862525658.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 1379862602725.jpg
    1379862602725.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 1379862616026.jpg
    1379862616026.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 92

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
ChasingBike, you got the baby! That is so cool. They are lovely. For your enclosure, sounds great, looks great. Nice.
You can buy wheat berries (at the health food store) and plant that in little trays, water and in a few days, they sprout up. Grows into nice and neat "grass". It's the wheat grass that people drink for good health.
You're in China? Hello from Southern California! : )

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
yeah,I live in Chongqing,China.Thanks for your advice,I will order some wheat berries in the online shop.:D

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Chonqing, the fog city. Which reminds me to remind you, keep your baby warm and humid for healthy and happy. My babies have done great with this method, in a "closed chamber", smooth shells, not pyramiding, not lumpy. Look forward to your updates. : )

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
I picked it back home yesterday,and this is his first poop,Something terribly wrong happened,there is no reptile vet in my country,I am on the brink of desperation.....:(

Im sorry I lied,I didn't buy it in the local pet shop,I bought it online,which means I paid 500dollars,bought a sick tort and wasnt able to contact with the seller,the seller will cut down the contact with me.(obviously the seller knows it's a sick tort)

It is too tiny.....I am sad...

Attachments

• 1380257536793.jpg
    1380257536793.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 67

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I wonder if that is perlite? Looks like. Okay, calm down. The baby is a baby. Make sure you keep it warm. Warm soaks are awesome. If it is pooping odd things from it's previous care, or lack of care, that's good. It has come out. Good bye bad things. Keep him warm and cozy.

How is the baby, active? eating? Remember if it was shipped it may have been tumbled. It may be stressed if it is acting shy. Do not look at it from above. It is thinking you may eat it. Until your little leopard knows you are the keeper that feeds it, it will think you want to feed on it. Be patient. Warm and cozy for baby. Soak it a couple times a day to be sure it hydrates.

ChasingBike

5 Year Member
BeeBee*BeeLeaves said:
I wonder if that is perlite? Looks like. Okay, calm down. The baby is a baby. Make sure you keep it warm. Warm soaks are awesome. If it is pooping odd things from it's previous care, or lack of care, that's good. It has come out. Good bye bad things. Keep him warm and cozy.

How is the baby, active? eating? Remember if it was shipped it may have been tumbled. It may be stressed if it is acting shy. Do not look at it from above. It is thinking you may eat it. Until your little leopard knows you are the keeper that feeds it, it will think you want to feed on it. Be patient. Warm and cozy for baby. Soak it a couple times a day to be sure it hydrates.

It has eaten some veggie,but it;s not active,sleeping all the time.
The basking spot is 100F,I have soaked it with warm water,then it pooped,I am sure the previous keeper didn't take good care of it,because those GPP CBB are imported to China(from USA)with good health(this is the reason why I go online shopping when finding there is no petshop in Chongqing sells GPP CBB)
After listening to some Jazz music,I felt better.......

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
What is that that in the enclosure? Is that poop, or what? Keep warm soaks 2-3 times daily, and keep him active. Make him move as much as you can. Perhaps you can put him in a large tub of warm water. He'll try to get out. You want him to do that so that whatever he has inside him comes out. Then, keep putting fresh food in front of him and keep him warm. Don't worry about vet. Here on the forum we have good people who know some remedies that might help you. Some are vet assistants, some are scientist, some work with tortoises. You'll get the best advise anywhere here.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Exactly what sibi said. If the GPP came from the USA, I really think it might be okay start wise. But between here and there a lot can happen. It's not a little ride to get to your country. I wonder if the baby ate some paper. Hard to see your photo cause it is a bit blurry. In any case, not in his body anymore so that is the good thing. Remember, it is stressed from the trip and the new you. It's instinct says hide or be eaten. So let it find its way. Warm and cozy and soaks several times a day to hydrate it. Hopefully it will adjust/acclimate to its new home with you, soon. Jazz was a good idea, for you and for baby tortoise. Softly though. : )

Status
Not open for further replies.