Sudden Tortoise Owner-- How is she Doing?

Feralpoodles

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello all, firstly I just want to say thank you for everyone who posts on this forum, all the information and advice on here has been a lifesaver and I’m so glad I found this site.

We just bought a house, and as we’re moving in we saw that the old owners just left their tortoise. They were not great pet owners (dogs left outside all the time, tortoise enclosure full of trash, keeping two tortoises of different species (russian and a much bigger male, I’m not sure what kind) in the same enclosure, only feeding her flowers, etc.) so we figured it was on purpose and didn’t exactly try very hard to return her.

She is a Russian tortoise, about 9 years old, and we named her Luna. We had to tent the house for termites, and the enclosure is right up against the house, so we had to take her with us to where we are staying to be safe. i’m trying to get all the information I can through research, but I figured it would be better to make a post and get some specific answers to my questions.

RxrhIjUzkKaaQZVa73stxgLl3ZWlfnsWn7sY34r5BEDtw_br60MuKb9xMCrRqHEJXwGTDV55MJhQN_xK8W7FBA-bPpPFV6XAzytF7q0H70EtnuaOYzeJl9L-qMZSOZ68VePeIyIX2m4mpPYHpatHwMemNEo=s0-d-e1-ft

qoCrYRAXJOTRy6FAxKzMPINMHcPkKHnqH5wxTxPZ-MT3rKNQfmWcVDJq4HdTsZJtfbK5_N2I1_RZYSeb0WH6K0lSWr73z8C4vP6L0Oq4VCyMUS2zMX4oPaA04tebXhJAXPIZUXnUSlyJSsEuVcrZrNyIWyE=s0-d-e1-ft

ZQxnZugEh-Yr3KF0FncyDLZZr4hvFUqLJRk-2lVzhcbdW40shqGgbsL0knOyZp8kv-BuaaxqI8G5wG9-O2VJDXkgIQCaiXhizkhPg1pEb6SMTHvIsTY4Ws3wQgwD8YHtfCbgWAfvThSl4pws0BTorlwcKDc=s0-d-e1-ft

1. Is there anything visibly wrong with her? I can’t tell if there’s something wrong with her shell, or if she’s just a little dirty, but I gently felt her shell, and it doesn’t seem soft anywhere that I can tell. I want to start giving her soaks because it’s very dry where we’re staying, and maybe clean off her shell with a toothbrush, but I want to be sure that that wouldn't make any potential health problems worse just in case

2. Right now she’s staying in a 40 gallon tank, the standard one you get at Petsmart with the double doors. The enclosure she was staying in at the house is a planter that the previous owners ripped out to turn into her enclosure, it is a big enough area, but there is a huge palm tree in the middle, so it’s in shade for most of the day and palm tree seeds will fall into it. Would she get enough UV in there? She really seems to be enjoying basking in a heat lamp, but it’s still better to have an outdoor enclosure with more space for a Russian, right?

2. Last night she was basking under the lamp and her back legs were kind of splayed out, is that indicative of a problem? She seems to be able to move fine, she’s walking a lot more today, but I also picked up some calcium and vitamin D supplement. Should I put that over her pellet food or over her greens?

3. i’m gonna go forage some weeds and flowers from the yard for her food, I’ve also got some broccoli And two kinds of pellet food, mazuri and flukers. I already tried giving her kale and she didn’t care about it. I’m going to try to identify the plants in my area to see if they’re OK for her, but are there any weeds and things that I should really look out for to not give her?

4. Should I try to put a leash on her (tie some string or something) and walk her around outside? I know I read that it’s very important for Russians to walk around a lot, but its very windy and cold where we’re staying. We’re only gonna be here for about a week before we move into the new place.

5. What should I do about the winter? Leave her outside and let her brumate? I’m in Southern California about 20 minutes from the coast, so it doesn’t really get that cold, but still probably too cold for her outside in the next few months. Would it be better to keep her in the tank until it gets warmer? Or just take her in when it rains or gets really cold, will that disturb her if she’s hibernating? Will a lot of noise and movement in the yard disturb her if she’s hibernating?

i’m sorry for the long and rambling post, and I will probably keep posting questions as I have them, but I’m just very overwhelmed right now with the move, and suddenly having a new little friend to take care of that I know basically nothing about. We’re big animal lovers, so we’re very knowledgeable about animal care and willing to do the work, but we’ve never had a reptile before. Thank you so much in advance :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Is that a rock by her butt! At first I freaked out thinking she was prolapsing but you didn't mention anything about it so I'm assuming it's a rock?
She needs a 4x8 foot minimum indoor enclosure and same or bigger outside.
If you were to brumate her, it has to be done properly. Seeing she wasn't taken that great of care of from previous owners, I wouldn't brunate her this year.
She does need to stay warm though, 75-80 during the day and 95-100 basking and no lower than 70 at night. Enclosure needs to be bright during the day to keep her up. If it warm enough during the day to put her in the flower bed they had for her, do that and bring her in for colder than 70 nights. Be sure she has a hide that you can lock her in at night outside.
No leash, she needs an escape proof enclosure inside and out
Otherwise she doesn't look bad. A soak and soft cleaning won't hurt if you want to do that.

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Hello all, firstly I just want to say thank you for everyone who posts on this forum, all the information and advice on here has been a lifesaver and I’m so glad I found this site.

We just bought a house, and as we’re moving in we saw that the old owners just left their tortoise. They were not great pet owners (dogs left outside all the time, tortoise enclosure full of trash, keeping two tortoises of different species (russian and a much bigger male, I’m not sure what kind) in the same enclosure, only feeding her flowers, etc.) so we figured it was on purpose and didn’t exactly try very hard to return her.

She is a Russian tortoise, about 9 years old, and we named her Luna. We had to tent the house for termites, and the enclosure is right up against the house, so we had to take her with us to where we are staying to be safe. i’m trying to get all the information I can through research, but I figured it would be better to make a post and get some specific answers to my questions.

RxrhIjUzkKaaQZVa73stxgLl3ZWlfnsWn7sY34r5BEDtw_br60MuKb9xMCrRqHEJXwGTDV55MJhQN_xK8W7FBA-bPpPFV6XAzytF7q0H70EtnuaOYzeJl9L-qMZSOZ68VePeIyIX2m4mpPYHpatHwMemNEo=s0-d-e1-ft

qoCrYRAXJOTRy6FAxKzMPINMHcPkKHnqH5wxTxPZ-MT3rKNQfmWcVDJq4HdTsZJtfbK5_N2I1_RZYSeb0WH6K0lSWr73z8C4vP6L0Oq4VCyMUS2zMX4oPaA04tebXhJAXPIZUXnUSlyJSsEuVcrZrNyIWyE=s0-d-e1-ft

ZQxnZugEh-Yr3KF0FncyDLZZr4hvFUqLJRk-2lVzhcbdW40shqGgbsL0knOyZp8kv-BuaaxqI8G5wG9-O2VJDXkgIQCaiXhizkhPg1pEb6SMTHvIsTY4Ws3wQgwD8YHtfCbgWAfvThSl4pws0BTorlwcKDc=s0-d-e1-ft

1. Is there anything visibly wrong with her? I can’t tell if there’s something wrong with her shell, or if she’s just a little dirty, but I gently felt her shell, and it doesn’t seem soft anywhere that I can tell. I want to start giving her soaks because it’s very dry where we’re staying, and maybe clean off her shell with a toothbrush, but I want to be sure that that wouldn't make any potential health problems worse just in case

2. Right now she’s staying in a 40 gallon tank, the standard one you get at Petsmart with the double doors. The enclosure she was staying in at the house is a planter that the previous owners ripped out to turn into her enclosure, it is a big enough area, but there is a huge palm tree in the middle, so it’s in shade for most of the day and palm tree seeds will fall into it. Would she get enough UV in there? She really seems to be enjoying basking in a heat lamp, but it’s still better to have an outdoor enclosure with more space for a Russian, right?

2. Last night she was basking under the lamp and her back legs were kind of splayed out, is that indicative of a problem? She seems to be able to move fine, she’s walking a lot more today, but I also picked up some calcium and vitamin D supplement. Should I put that over her pellet food or over her greens?

3. i’m gonna go forage some weeds and flowers from the yard for her food, I’ve also got some broccoli And two kinds of pellet food, mazuri and flukers. I already tried giving her kale and she didn’t care about it. I’m going to try to identify the plants in my area to see if they’re OK for her, but are there any weeds and things that I should really look out for to not give her?

4. Should I try to put a leash on her (tie some string or something) and walk her around outside? I know I read that it’s very important for Russians to walk around a lot, but its very windy and cold where we’re staying. We’re only gonna be here for about a week before we move into the new place.

5. What should I do about the winter? Leave her outside and let her brumate? I’m in Southern California about 20 minutes from the coast, so it doesn’t really get that cold, but still probably too cold for her outside in the next few months. Would it be better to keep her in the tank until it gets warmer? Or just take her in when it rains or gets really cold, will that disturb her if she’s hibernating? Will a lot of noise and movement in the yard disturb her if she’s hibernating?

i’m sorry for the long and rambling post, and I will probably keep posting questions as I have them, but I’m just very overwhelmed right now with the move, and suddenly having a new little friend to take care of that I know basically nothing about. We’re big animal lovers, so we’re very knowledgeable about animal care and willing to do the work, but we’ve never had a reptile before. Thank you so much in advance :)
#2 Mine are comfortable when they splay out like that .

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
Yeah I was thinking this individual looks pretty good , actually!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. Soaking in lukewarm water is almost always is a good thing. Soft toothbrush won't do any harm, but I would do it after several soaks.
2. When tortoise splay its legs under the warm lamp - it's okay. That's how they warm up and increase their UVB exposure (they apparently don't know if the basking spot has UV or not).
3. Calcium supplements can be added over any food, once a week. D3 is unnecessary if she has enough UVB exposure. Also, check pellets nutrition facts - they might already have calcium and D3. One option to give calcium supplements is a cuttlefish bone, used for birds. Tortoise can graze it whenever it wants

I'll amend this message with some links to basic diet and care info.

1. "One post to rule them all". Must read.
2. Another great post by Tom
2. Recent list of healthy greens:
Post in thread 'Piggy is what Clyde is.' https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/piggy-is-what-clyde-is.151229/post-1444269

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yes its a rock!! Sorry I saw that in the photo and thought it might be confusing, was going to mention it and completely forgot ahh. Great thank you for the info!! :)
Hello and welcome to you. I hope good things come your way for rescuing and caring for this poor tortoise.

Start here and then look for the temperate species care sheet near the bottom. It will answer all of your questions, and give you all the correct info:

I'll answer your questions too;
1. She looks fine. Warm water soaks in a tall sided opaque container every other day for a month would be a good idea, and then cut back to once or twice a week. This will get her re-hydrated. And a gentle brushing with a toothbrush would be a fine idea.

2. Yes, she gets enough UV in there. I would not like the palm nuts dropping in. 40 Gallons is way too small, and walking around loose is not a safe solution. Can you get a large stock tank as a temporary home for her.

2. 2. When they splay their legs out like that it shows that they are content and at ease, and they are soaking up the heat. Put a tiny pinch of the calcium supplement on the greens a couple of times a week. And adult tortoise does not need a whole lot if the diet is good.

3. You have to know each and every plant you feed her. Some weeds are deadly toxic, and others are great tortoise food. It will take time to learn them all. We can help if you post pictures, and your local plant nursery can help if you take in samples.

4. The tortoise needs a large enclosure. The leash thing is not a good idea because the world is a hazardous place for a tortoise. They really need a large dedicated enclosure. That stock tank I mentioned would work, but a week in little glass tank is not the end of the world. I wouldn't worry about it. She will be back in her enclosure outside soon enough.

5. Read the temperate species care sheet and the brumation thread in the thread that I linked above. It answers all these questions.

More questions and conversation are welcome.

Morroco

Broccoli is not good for tortoise. I advise you to use tortoise table (application in play store)