Southern California members, anyone’s tortoises slow to hibernate this year?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
Our Russian tortoise doesn’t exactly act like she’s ready to go down and we’re a week into November. She’s not as active or hungry but she is eating and moving a fair bit. Even if she stopped today, we’d need to weeks for her to empty her gut.

I know part of it is the sunny weather we’ve been having but I’m also reminded that my vet feels Russians in my area will stay up so long as they have a place to warm up, which she does. Perhaps this is her year to stop hibernating but I thought I’d check to see what was happening elsewhere.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
With Joe, some years I would have him hibernating mid October and the latest was mid December. This year judging by the weather, it would have been towards the end of October. Hibernation was never a fixed date for Joe here in the UK as it just depended on when he was ready and when the weather decided to turn.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Oli (my Greek tort), has not hibernated ever since I've had him. I presume that it's due to the relatively "high" temperature indoors. Right, @JoesMum ?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I know you’re right...but I still don’t like it, lol. Why does she always get things her way?!!