Sudan or Sudanese Sulcata Tortoises

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baton Rouge, LA
Hi All,

I know that @Tom and @DeanS have had or still have several of the sulcata's of Sudan origin. I am just curious if these particular tortoises ever come up for sale and if so, can anyone point me in the right direction of someone who breeds the sudans and would have hatchlings for sale? Any feedback that I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I can't answer your question, yet it brings up for me, various questions of my own. Are you looking to purchase one for yourself? Are you a home owner or do you unfortunately have to rent your home at this time? I'm pretty sure that you you're aware of the responsibility of ownership complications regarding a sulcata.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Andrew Hermes of Arizona Tortoise Compound has intermittent access to fresh Sudanese hatchlings. You could check with him regarding availability.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
I can't answer your question, yet it brings up for me, various questions of my own. Are you looking to purchase one for yourself? Are you a home owner or do you unfortunately have to rent your home at this time? I'm pretty sure that you you're aware of the responsibility of ownership complications regarding a sulcata.

Yes sir, I am looking to purchase one. I do indeed own my home and I have a one acre fenced in pasture with a barn on it. We just recently had to put our mini horse down (she was 26 and was having lots of complications from old age). My kids were absolutely devastated and we are looking for a replacement animal for the pasture.

We currently have plenty of reptiles (a leopard tortoise from @Jodie, a bearded dragon, a ball python, and a couple pacman frogs). After doing lots of research my daughter wanted to get a sulcata when we got our leopard tortoise, however, I told her to prove to me that she would take care of the leopard tortoise and I would consider getting her a sulcata. She has done exceptionally well with the leopard tortoise (we are raising it in the humid method and we consistently read this forum for care taking advice. It has worked because our leopard is growing like a weed and is perfectly smooth) and begs me daily to get a sulcata. She held up to her end of the bargain, so I have to hold up to mine.

I personally like the higher domed look of the sulcata's of Sudanese origin, that is why I inquired about them. Thank you for the feedback.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
Andrew Hermes of Arizona Tortoise Compound has intermittent access to fresh Sudanese hatchlings. You could check with him regarding availability.

Baoh, thank you for that information. i will reach out to Andrew.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
8 months minus a couple weeks.
As of June 29th she weighed in at 180 grms.
July 1st she was at 170 grms.
Am I worried about that loss in weight? Not at all. I weigh her before and after I soak her. Like a regular, healthy tortoise she craps big time while soaking.
She never drops between soakings and I have to clean her enclosure almost daily. If she wasn't eating and crapping then I'd be worried. Just shows you that it's easy to freak yourself out over none issues while raising your baby tortoise if it was your first and you've got no prior experience with them. LOL.

cmeye11

5 Year Member
Baton Rouge, LA
As of June 29th she weighed in at 180 grms.
July 1st she was at 170 grms.
Am I worried about that loss in weight? Not at all. I weigh her before and after I soak her. Like a regular, healthy tortoise she craps big time while soaking.
She never drops between soakings and I have to clean her enclosure almost daily. If she wasn't eating and crapping then I'd be worried. Just shows you that it's easy to freak yourself out over none issues while raising your baby tortoise if it was your first and you've got no prior experience with them. LOL.

Our tortoise is just over a year old and weighs 321 grams as of 7/6/17. We have raised it in a closed chamber and it is super smooth. Our tortoises weight also fluctuates, however, I am not worried because it is growing like a weed and eats like a horse.