5 Year Member
- Mar 3, 2012
- Location (City and/or State)
Captive Sudanese genetic population questions
1. Is Brad Morris still breeding tortoises? (Not trying to be insensitive if he has passed or something along those lines but I cannot find any information on him or his tortoises)
2. I understand that a very limited number of Sudanese Sulcatas where brought to America, is anyone aware of exact amount of confirmed Sudan Sulcatas that were brought to America?
3. How many where kept for breeding reasons or bred “pure”?
4. If there are only 3 breeders who start hatchlings right are there other breeders who have confirmed Sudanese Sulcatas?
5. Who breeds confirmed Sudanese Sulcatas currently ? (including breeders who don’t start them right)
6. If only 3 good breeders exist at the moment wouldn’t it be important to attempt to include both the (well started) and (bad started) tortoises genetic blood line to increase genetic diversity in our already small genetic population?
7. If the genetic population was started with such a small population then genetic bottlenecking would already be an issue and without diversifying the population we could see genetic drift in the Sudan Sulcata captive population right?
8. Is there anything we can do to preserve our current population and genetically diversify our collective captive collection?
Questions for breeders or average tortoise enthusiasts
9. If given the chance would you start breeding Sudanese Sulcatas? Why or why not?
10. Is there a market for Sudanese Sulcatas?
11. How would you prepare for breeding Sudanese Sulcatas? (other than reading every breeding thread on this forum)
12. Would you want to diversify the genetic population and be considered with keeping Sudanese Sulcatas pure?
13. Is breeding a “normal” Sulcata with a Sudanese appropriate? (Your opinion)
14. What would be the most frowned upon breeding situation or husbandry situation with this species? (Other than starting hatchlings wrong) In your opinion.