Substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto
Any recommendations for substrates other than soil/sand?

Thnks

LuvmyGreenSon

5 Year Member
I am a newb but still maybe you might value my input. :) I tried using coco coir (in the bag not the brick) and I wasn't a huge fan and my tort didn't seem to like it that much either so now I use coco coir and some organic soil like a 60/40 coir to sand and it packs down a lot better then the coir alone. :D

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I use 100% coco coir, but orchid bark and cypress mulch are good, too. Some people also use topsoil with success. What all of these substrates have in common is the ability to hold onto moisture and raise humidity. Coco coir is my favorite because tortoises can dig in it, and it is also clean and free of fungi and insects. Personally, I have found that cypress mulch and soil can harbor fungi and insects, although some people get around that by baking the substrate for a short time in the oven to kill these pests. I haven't used orchid bark, but others here on TFO have, and they like it.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
The stuff they sell around here is a brick of coco husk... you have to soak it. I this what you are referring to?

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
Ended up buying the coir... looks good.. he seems to like it,

Thanks

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
It depends upon the age of the tortoise.
If you have a young, still growing and developing Hermann's tortoises they require a bit higher ambient humidity level as well as more moisture in their substrate. I have experimented with just about every substrate and every combination possible over the years and have raised the best looking Hermann's, Marginateds, Ibera, Russians and others on the following:
60% organic potting or top soil/30% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum and leaves all mixed well and kept semi-moist at a depth of about 2-2.5". Sprayed twice daily and saturated and churned once a week. This mixture holds moisture well without having to be soaking wet, allows for the tortoises to bury themselves in it but still remains firm enough on top to allow for good footing.
For Hermann's and other Testudo that are above, 4.5-5" in size, at or towards the end of their growth development I use just straight cypress mulch. I spray it twice daily also to provide some moisture.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
GBtortoises said:
If you have a young, still growing and developing Hermann's tortoises they require a bit higher ambient humidity level as well as more moisture in their substrate. I have experimented with just about every substrate and every combination possible over the years and have raised the best looking Hermann's, Marginateds, Ibera, Russians and others on the following:
60% organic potting or top soil/30% coconut coir and the rest ground sphagnum and leaves all mixed well and kept semi-moist at a depth of about 2-2.5". Sprayed twice daily and saturated and churned once a week. This mixture holds moisture well without having to be soaking wet, allows for the tortoises to bury themselves in it but still remains firm enough on top to allow for good footing.
For Hermann's and other Testudo that are above, 4.5-5" in size, at or towards the end of their growth development I use just straight cypress mulch. I spray it twice daily also to provide some moisture.

I don't think I spray my enclosure enough.. twice daily?? Wow... I've gone a week or more w/o spraying...

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
He has been less active since I put the coco in... Maybe he's still getting used to it?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
siwash said:
GBtortoises said:

I don't think I spray my enclosure enough.. twice daily?? Wow... I've gone a week or more w/o spraying...
An important part of smooth growth, as well as a healthy tortoise, is for them to remain well hydrated. Keeping a young tortoise properly hydrated is a three part process that includes ambient air humidity, substrate moisture and body hydration. Ideal ambient air humidity for any of the Hermann's subspecies is in the range of 60-70%, slightly lower, down to 50% is okay. Higher is okay for short periods too as long as there is adequate air exchange in the enclosure. Substrate moisture is easily controlled by the type of substrate material used and by regular spraying. Once in the morning just before or soon after the lights go on mimics a morning dew and usually brings the baby tortoises out to bask and forage. Once in the evening helps to replace the moisture lost from the substrate during the daytime when the lights are on producing heat and drying out the enclosure. I also saturate and churn the substrate once a week to help it retain moisture longer. I don't spray to the point of the substrate being soaking wet, but so that it has an obvious moist feel when felt by hand.
Tortoise hydration, especially with developing, growing babies is absolutely crucial for correct growth and good health. If an easily accessible dish with clean, fresh water in it is not available at all times then the tortoise should at least be taken out and watered (soaked) every other day as a minimum. Or both.

siwash

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Toronto
GBtortoises said:
siwash said:
GBtortoises said:

An important part of smooth growth, as well as a healthy tortoise, is for them to remain well hydrated. Keeping a young tortoise properly hydrated is a three part process that includes ambient air humidity, substrate moisture and body hydration. Ideal ambient air humidity for any of the Hermann's subspecies is in the range of 60-70%, slightly lower, down to 50% is okay. Higher is okay for short periods too as long as there is adequate air exchange in the enclosure. Substrate moisture is easily controlled by the type of substrate material used and by regular spraying. Once in the morning just before or soon after the lights go on mimics a morning dew and usually brings the baby tortoises out to bask and forage. Once in the evening helps to replace the moisture lost from the substrate during the daytime when the lights are on producing heat and drying out the enclosure. I also saturate and churn the substrate once a week to help it retain moisture longer. I don't spray to the point of the substrate being soaking wet, but so that it has an obvious moist feel when felt by hand.
Tortoise hydration, especially with developing, growing babies is absolutely crucial for correct growth and good health. If an easily accessible dish with clean, fresh water in it is not available at all times then the tortoise should at least be taken out and watered (soaked) every other day as a minimum. Or both.

Leo developed some mild pyramiding in the first 2 years. He's almost 4. This is my first tort. and I have made a few mistakes. But, I think he is otherwise very healthy and I try to take very good care of him. I know I should have kept it a bit more moist... He's eating well, he's active and alert, his eyes are clear and he is strong..

Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.