Eating substrates

Status
Not open for further replies.

delpiero

5 Year Member
I have just changed my hermann's substrates to cypress mulch, but as soon as I put her in the enclosure, she starts eating the substrates.
Should I remove the substrates? Will it cause any harm?

Thanks,
Ivan

delpiero

5 Year Member
Yes, I usually leave a little bit more than what she can finish in a day on her plate every morning.
I have calcium mix with her food twice a week as well as a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Are you using any "colored" lights for heat? Like any infrared heat bulbs? They often cause that reaction in torts.

delpiero

5 Year Member
No, I have a basking spot light & 10.0 UVB compact lamp on one side.
Also have another T8 UVB tube over the top (all from zoo med)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I'd keep an eye on it and offer some much more interesting food around the clock for a while. In a day or too, they will normally get over the "novelty" of the new stuff and stop sampling it. In the mean time just keep him/her full of other stuff and not hungry.

delpiero

5 Year Member
Alright! Thanks Tom.
So will they just pass the substrates back out if really swallowed?

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
do you feed her in the evening? when did you notice her eating the mulch?... in the morning or mid day?

delpiero said:
Yes, I usually leave a little bit more than what she can finish in a day on her plate every morning.
I have calcium mix with her food twice a week as well as a cuttlefish bone in the enclosure.

delpiero

5 Year Member
I normally feed her in the morning.
she ate the mulch right after i change it this evening but she still have food there on her plate when that happen,

delpiero

5 Year Member
She seem fine when I checked on her this morning. But I'm still a little worry about impaction.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
delpiero said:
She seem fine when I checked on her this morning. But I'm still a little worry about impaction.

How much of the substrate did the tortoise eat? If it just nibbled at it, it should be fine. Either way, I'd keep it well hydrated so it has some help "pushing it out" the other end. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.