Substrate that I plan to use...(HELP)

Shua

So I plan to use

Cypress mulch.

Coir bricks ( or should I just buy the large bag?)

So now I'm wondering if I can mix top soil in or should I stay away from that ?

Also, I'm getting the zoo med tortoise hut .. I was wondering if I could put spaghnum moss in the back to keep the humidity up .. Or should I make a little hut out of a Tupperware & put the moss in there ?

What do you guys think?

(Planning to get a hatchling Russian Tortoise or Hermann Tortoise.)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Do you mean the ZooMed Tortoise House? That is not a good enclosure for any species or age.

Opinions and preferences for substrates are highly variable and depend on many factors. For baby Testudo species, I prefer to use coco coir. I buy it in bulk and use a thick layer that I hand pack after I put it into the enclosure. It can be messy at first, but hand packing it settles it in nicely. After a week or two, it makes a really nice substrate for them. Cypress mulch is fine too, but the particles are too large for a baby. Orchid bark would be my second choice.

I would avoid "top soil" for two reasons: 1. Its very messy and it coats and sticks to everything. 2. It can be made from anything, including toxic plants like oleander. Yes it is all supposed to be composted and mostly broken down, but can you be absolutely sure its safe? How? Other things just work better.

Here are two russian care sheets with enclosure recommendations and a new hermanni care sheet from Chris:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sticky-hermanns-tortoise-care-sheet-updated.101410/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
I use coir almost exclusively for my hatchlings. Some moss in a few spots.

Shua

:DThanks for the valuable info Tom.

Yes I've read the articles many times, but it doesn't hurt to keep reading them! :D

Since the zoo med housing isn't recommended. What is ? I've read up different housings but I don't know what to use.

I can't place it outside right now because it's to cold here in Nc.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Large plastic tubs from the hardware store work. Glass tanks work well for me, even though most websites say not to use them. Many on this site have been using them with no problem for decades. In fact I think they are good for the very reasons "they" say they are bad. Taller side reduce air flow. This is good. It helps keep the warm humid air in and the cold dry room air out.

Buying or building a closed chamber is the best way to house them. A cc makes humidity and temperature maintenance very easy and it reduces electricity usage tremendously.

Chris mentions a new and novel way of using the plastic tubs and their lids in his updated care sheet that I posted above. Worth a look.

Shua

Thanks again.

Hmm I think I may go with the container setup.

At night would I just close up the top with the lid??? Or just leave it open?

I wouldn't mind putting 2 containers together but I wouldn't know how to hook them up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks again.

Hmm I think I may go with the container setup.

At night would I just close up the top with the lid??? Or just leave it open?

I wouldn't mind putting 2 containers together but I wouldn't know how to hook them up.

You can hook two containers together with some nuts and bolts, silicone sealant, tape, clamps, etc...

Shua

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me the difference between loose coconut coir bedding & compressed coconut bedding?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks!

Can anyone tell me the difference between loose coconut coir bedding & compressed coconut bedding?

Coco coir is usually sold in tight, dehydrated, compressed bricks. It can be hydrated and re-expanded and then dried out again. Then it would be loose coco fiber. Or it can come straight from the processing plant before compression too. It is most likely going to be more cost effective to buy it compressed and rehydrate it yourself.

Either way it should be damp, thrown into the enclosure loose and then hand packed down.