RF substrate smell?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fargo, ND
It's because being waterlogged allows for the growth of anaerobic bacteria. Setting up a bioactive substrate can sometimes help with it. Using a mix instead of a singular material can also help sometimes.

Yeah, I can't do bugs, lol. But I've been thinking next time it's due for a change I'm going to mix in a little soil and orchid bark.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
This is why I like orchid bark or cypress mulch. Neither one gets sour when sitting too wet. That's what you're smelling...sour, bacteria-laden substrate.
Blech! I'm going to try the coco chips first - if I don't like em, I'm going for orchid bark.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Btw - loving the coco chips so far!! They smell so much better. He loves digging into them in all different places.... It's not so messy. And the humidity stays up pretty well - not AS well as the coco coir, but pretty close. I add water more, but I was expecting that since they're chips and the water kinda falls through and doesn't soak in really. But all in all - not bad!!

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I haven't sprayed my RF cage in days but the humidity and the humidifier keep the substrate wet. It smells bad and I've noticed mold growth! What should I do with this senerio?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
What substrate do you use?

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
Eco earth coco coir and there is fake moss on top. Its moss that comes in a block and expands like Eco earth.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
That's what I just changed from because it was smelling like rotten eggs and turning white on top/growing stuff. :/ I ordered coco chips instead and am loving them. As is my little guy! I just didn't like the Eco earth - no reason I should change it every month (per the experts on here who use the same stuff for forever!). I also bought sheet moss from Josh's Frogs and it's fantastic stuff - very green and nice looking. I spray that every day to keep it alive, and dump water in the chips about every once in a while (not too much - just enough for a small layer at bottom of chips - the substrate is about 5-6" deep).
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403932897.770361.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403932916.521094.jpg

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
What do you have mixed with the chips? Is it just the chips plain? I will deff look into getting them. What site did you order from?

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
I just have the chips. I haven't had a reason to mix - some people do, some don't. And I just ordered blocks from amazon (see below - warning - took like 2 weeks to receive!!). So if you're impatient like me, be prepared... lol and I only used about 3/4 of a brick - still have the rest of that one and a full one left. Well worth the money so far!
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403933375.193530.jpg

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Otherwise, fine grade orchid bark is another popular choice (which I might try in the future just because - just to see what I like better). :)

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
You're welcome! Hope you like it as much as I do!!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Bump... (sorry mods. ;))
Please don't bump, there is no need to do so. It shows up as new whenever someone logs on, ok, now to the question.
It should not be going bad/smell bad in just a month. I wonder if maybe it is being caused by spoiled food? Any chance of that? Poop maybe being missed? If you are spot cleaning the substrate should easily last around a year.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
No, not spoiled food - I'm sure of that. As for poop? There's a chance one or two might've been missed, but he pooped in his soaks almost every day. But they are so small, I can't imagine they'd smell like that - plus it was only when I would mix the substrate around.. :/

tortoisetime565

Oklahoma
I just took out all of my fake moss and the eco earth underneath was sopping wet. I haven't sprayed his cage in weeks. I think the closed chamber is keeping it really wet. I'm going to dry it out and start over.