Newbie - Substrate Question and Plants

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
Just wondering if Harvest Organic Top Soil purchased at Lowes it safe to put inside an enclosure? Do I need to put soil in an enclosure at all? I've seen mostly being used sphagnum moss and cypress mulch. How often should I replace with new substrate on a hatchlings enclosure? The breeder of Freddie uses fake plants, but I was thinking about using real safe non-toxic ones, such as some spider plants and hibiscus. What is better fake or real?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

You've left out some important details...such as, what kind of tortoise Freddie is.

I like real plants. But you'll have to be prepared to replace them frequently because the tortoises don't care where they walk, and they usually uproot the plants on a regular basis.

FreddieKrueger

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

You've left out some important details...such as, what kind of tortoise Freddie is.

I like real plants. But you'll have to be prepared to replace them frequently because the tortoises don't care where they walk, and they usually uproot the plants on a regular basis.

HELLO YVONNE,

Sorry my mistake she is a cherry head hatchling, born 5/14/13.
Do I need to place top soil in the enclosure? Maybe I could just place plants in pots and sink them into the substrate?

Status
Not open for further replies.