Substrate Question...

trixie557

Okay, Shakespeare is 6 months old and I have him in a 110 gallon tank for the time being. As substrate I have just coco coir, now I've had a few friends who have had tortoises in the past tell me I need to mix it with something? Should I be? If so what? Trying to do right by my little guy!

Included a photo of Shakespeare doing his FAVORITE thing... climbing Mayhem. The two are NEVER left alone, and Mayhem is my Service Dog, has grown up with small animals and has perfect verbal commands should I need to tell her to leave it. I wouldn't trust my other two dogs with Shakipoo, but May and him chill pretty often. She isn't upset in the photo, She's falling asleep!
mas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
All coco coir is just fine. There seems to be a trend lately of people wanting to do mixtures of things for substrates. I've never done it that way and maybe I'm just set in my ways, but I don't see a reason or benefit to it. Just pick one that works for you and go for it.

trixie557

Tom said:
All coco coir is just fine. There seems to be a trend lately of people wanting to do mixtures of things for substrates. I've never done it that way and maybe I'm just set in my ways, but I don't see a reason or benefit to it. Just pick one that works for you and go for it.

He seems to be doing really well on it, but I wanted to check! That makes me feel MUCH more at ease! Shakespeare is my first little guy, and I want to do right! So I keep reminding myself to suck it up and ASK QUESTIONS for his sake! Tom do you think the 110 gallon is okay? Or Should I move my Axolotls into it (plenty big enough) and give him the 300 gallon tank?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I'm not Tom, but I say the more space you can provide the better for your youngin. They need the room.