Substarte change

Location (City and/or State)
Lanzarote
Hi guys so recently I acquired a russian tortoise and have been using this kind of wood chunk substrate but I'm about to get a leopord gecko too and plan to use organic, sterilized soil for my gecko and just wanted to know if I could use this for my russian too. If anyone could tell me if it's ok I would be really grateful

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Soil shouldn't be used as a substrate for any reptile. It is made from composted yard waste. There is no way to know what it is. "Organic" doesn't make it safe. Rattlesnake venom is 100% organic. Doesn't mean its safe. That soil could be made from composted oleander or azaleas. Could be yard clippings that were treated with weed n' feed. There is no way to know.

Soil makers do not intend for small live animals to be living on their product in little indoor enclosures.

Baby Russian tortoises do best on hand packed coco coir. Adult Russians do best on fine grade orchid bark.

Someone with more leopard gecko experience can recommend a substrate for your gecko, but if they say soil or sand, I'd look elsewhere for advice.

Lanzarote
Soil shouldn't be used as a substrate for any reptile. It is made from composted yard waste. There is no way to know what it is. "Organic" doesn't make it safe. Rattlesnake venom is 100% organic. Doesn't mean its safe. That soil could be made from composted oleander or azaleas. Could be yard clippings that were treated with weed n' feed. There is no way to know.

Soil makers do not intend for small live animals to be living on their product in little indoor enclosures.

Baby Russian tortoises do best on hand packed coco coir. Adult Russians do best on fine grade orchid bark.

Someone with more leopard gecko experience can recommend a substrate for your gecko, but if they say soil or sand, I'd look elsewhere for advice.
Oh ok thanks so much for the information a lot of people have said it's fine just wanted to see if it was with you guys