stupid things petstore employees say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I wish I had a better memory for the stuff pet store people say. Sometimes I just go in there to troll them. Ask them questions I already know the answer to in order to educate them. Actually there is a Petco right next to my house that I really like because I go in there so often they all know me. And the manager asks ME questions about their blue tongue skinks and even their tortoises sometimes. And they know I'll harp on them if I see improper care! I mean, the cramped conditions they can't really help because that's all they have to work with. But if I see humidity/ diet/ temp/ light stuff I call the manager over right away and they fixit right in front of me. I don't usually shop in a chain store like that but I will in this Petco because they are awesome.

"Here are your minnows!" *hands me a bag with 3 minnows and 4 goldfish*

"The Nile Monitor will not get big as long as you keep it in a small tank!" (They can get up to 7 feet long, and keeping them in a small tank is not only very cruel, it will not 'keep it small'. Had a nice long chat with that certain girl about that.)

jessrich87

5 Year Member
I worked at PetSmart for 5 years and like to think that I was pretty smart about pet care- but I def. agree with the fact that some or most retail pet store employees are very uneducated on pet care. I have heard some pretty dumb thimgs myself. Here is my favorite:

I was shopping for a gecko and the one I liked was in a viv labeled "Common Gecko".
Me: What kind of gecko is that?
PetCo lady: That is a Common Gecko.
*headdesk*

I bought it anyway and researched it when I got home. She was a Bibron Gecko. Pretty cool. I did inform the lady that "Common" is not a species of gecko.

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
emysemys said:
The one that gets me is that all their russians are babies. When are they going to realize that a russian is a small species of tortoise and not a baby?

Yes, this.

I asked an employee at our local Petco if their Russians are wild-caught and she said definitely no. As a matter of fact, she said, they were just hatched from the breeder a few weeks previous. They were 4-inch Russians! LOL!

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
My favourite I over heard a dad talking to his son

Son: day look at these turtles (red footed tortoise)

Dad: that is actually a Tortoise

Son: can we buy him

Dad: No, I want to buy you and your sister something that will live a long time that is why I don't think a puppy is a good idea either ....... Hey look at this chameleon (vailed chameleon)

Same store different time

Customer:hey what kind of snakes are these?(They were tiny cornsnakes)

Same employee as above: I'm not 100% sure they normally have the names on the tank we just got them in. But my best guess they are baby ball pythons

Customer: okay they are what my son wants can I have one

Employee: umm let me get a box (he came back with a box and a scond employee a much smarter employee)

Smart employee: what snake did you want mam?

Customer: one of these "ball pythons"

Smart employee: mam those are cornsnakes let me show you the ball pythons(the other employee took off in the other direction but also no longer works there)

Pet store

My wife asked: are rabits good with kids

Employee: yea ..... But they bite

There are many more story thouse are my favourtie I have herd many tales of if you want your snake to stay small feed it once a month or keep it in a small tank, the stupidity is endless at pet/reptile stores

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I went to petsmart to get a hermit crab to put in with my Redfoot. I asked the employee to see them. He fished around...i said, well i want one thats alive...so we found one. Anyways...i asked him if they add salt to their water or do they use a special water. He said, dumbfoundedly..." huh? Salt water? " I said yes, you sell it. " No mam. We use tap water" they are supposed to soak in salt water and also drink salt water....DUH!

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
Pet store

My wife asked: are rabits good with kids

Employee: yea ..... But they bite

There are many more story thouse are my favourtie I have herd many tales of if you want your snake to stay small feed it once a month or keep it in a small tank, the stupidity is endless at pet/reptile stores
[/quote]

hahahaha this made me laugh :D

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
As a petstore employee, I honestly think I could get in trouble for how often I try to talk costumers OUT of buying pets... but when someone comes up to me and says they want a baby bearded dragon, and then tell me they have a 10 gallon terrarium set up at home already that is "the perfect size for the little fella", you better believe I am going to talk them out of the bearded dragon and steer them towards the leopard gecko.

Haha, the dead fish being goldfish food cracks me up. I've never heard that one :p

I probably have a LOT of fish stories that I just can't think of, haha. Ohh one that just came to mind is the costumer that had a ten gallon tank. They had two mollies and a redtailed shark. The employee had told them that the red tailed shark will stay really small and hide most of the time, and that he wouldn't be at all aggressive to the mollies... I was in the fish area at the time and after the employee left I mentioned to them that the red tailed sharks get HUGE and pretty aggressive... they went to hunt down the employee right away so he could take the fish out of their bag :p

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Courtney, I'm glad you make sure customers can actually support the animal they want to buy. Both economically and ethically, it's better to make a little money from a customer for a lifetime, than to make a lot just once and never see him again.

Status
Not open for further replies.