Goldfish , Betta breeding

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maurits

Hi,

I tried searching for a relevant thread to post my question. But I couldn't find so I'm starting a new one.

I have three gold fishes and two bettas in my 20 gallon tank. They are quite alright and moving friendly with each other (at least when I watch).

But the problem now I have is quite unnatural. I have them around 8 months. They are almost 4 inches long. But they didn't start breeding yet. Nor my goldfishes, neither bettas. I'm not quite sure about the reason. Actually I don't know how I can identify their gender. How to identify the gender of Goldfish and Betta? Are they still babies, not grown enough for breeding?

They are active enough, but how can I encourage them to breed?

Any body can help me, please. :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Maurtis:

You're going to have to get a book about these two kinds of fish and do some reading. Seems like every kind of fish has different requirements that encourage them to lay eggs. For instance, Angelfish need to have a piece of slate on which to deposit the eggs.

My gold fish in the pond were about 8" long before I ever saw any fry in the water. So maybe your fish just aren't mature enough yet.

Also, the siamese fighting fish males will fight and kill other males of their kind, so I'm wondering if maybe you don't have a male.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
Maurits said:
Hi,

I tried searching for a relevant thread to post my question. But I couldn't find so I'm starting a new one.

I have three gold fishes and two bettas in my 20 gallon tank. They are quite alright and moving friendly with each other (at least when I watch).

But the problem now I have is quite unnatural. I have them around 8 months. They are almost 4 inches long. But they didn't start breeding yet. Nor my goldfishes, neither bettas. I'm not quite sure about the reason. Actually I don't know how I can identify their gender. How to identify the gender of Goldfish and Betta? Are they still babies, not grown enough for breeding?

They are active enough, but how can I encourage them to breed?

Any body can help me, please. :(
Goldfish and bettas have completely different requirements, suprising they are alive together this long.
Bettas are easy enough to spawn and raise. I only hatched one goldfish, over 10 years ago, it died after less than a week.
Bettas like warm water, 80-90F. Males construct a bubble nest, after spawning the male tends to the nest, makes repairs, guards from the female who will eat the young. Eggs hatch after 2-3 days, the male tries to keep them in the nest, after the eggs hatch ,the male should be removed as he will start eating the fry eventually.
Fry consume green water and eggyolk infusion. They can be raised in groups to adulthood in a few months given proper care.

Status
Not open for further replies.