Strange smell?

okkarence

Location (City and/or State)
Tallaght
I noticed about 2 weeks ago that Dash's shell smells funky - kind of like curry or a spice mix. He's eating and pooping well and very active so i dont think it's a health concern but is this normal?? Seems very random to me.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
My torts stink varying from just slightly to rotten busted a$$. My Leopard (stinkiest) loves to poop in his water dish and then does loops around the enclosure walking through the dish to reup the scent so he can continue spreading it. BTW both are confirmed males-can't unsee that!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My torts stink varying from just slightly to rotten busted a$$. My Leopard (stinkiest) loves to poop in his water dish and then does loops around the enclosure walking through the dish to reup the scent so he can continue spreading it. BTW both are confirmed males-can't unsee that!
Yep, mine will do that too. I have a young female that will do it for about a month at a time then stops and never does it again for months.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I noticed about 2 weeks ago that Dash's shell smells funky - kind of like curry or a spice mix. He's eating and pooping well and very active so i dont think it's a health concern but is this normal?? Seems very random to me.
Do a thorough check of every part of tort. Look into leg areas, neck areas, all over, just to be sure there is nothing happening, like infection etc.