Strange Dents on Plastron Hermann's

peanutbutton

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi, I'm a new tortoise keeper and I noticed that the plastron (bottom of shell) of my three-year-old eastern Hermann's has strange dents on it. The previous owner said it has had it its whole life, but I was looking around and this seems abnormal. He is moving and eating fine. I keep him in an outdoor enclosure since I got him (about a few weeks now). Can anyone tell me what it is/the cause and how I can correct it?

Attachments

• IMG_0624.JPG
    IMG_0624.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 5

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, I'm a new tortoise keeper and I noticed that the plastron (bottom of shell) of my three-year-old eastern Hermann's has strange dents on it. The previous owner said it has had it its whole life, but I was looking around and this seems abnormal. He is moving and eating fine. I keep him in an outdoor enclosure since I got him (about a few weeks now). Can anyone tell me what it is/the cause and how I can correct it?
That looks pretty normal. He may have been started and kept too dry. This is common worldwide, unfortunately.

Start here:

peanutbutton

California
Oh no... Thank you so much! Do you know if a tortoise table will keep him humid enough outdoors? It has a wired top and the average humidity in my area is around 50-60%.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh no... Thank you so much! Do you know if a tortoise table will keep him humid enough outdoors? It has a wired top and the average humidity in my area is around 50-60%.
Outdoors they should be on the ground in a large, safe, secure enclosure. I wouldn't use a table outside. It is very likely to over heat.

Where are you? Very different advice for inland San Diego vs. coastal Sea Francisco.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm in the bay area. Should I still soak every so often, even if he (the tortoise) has a dish?
Yes. Soaking does no harm for any tortoise. Not soaking enough can do harm in some cases. Two or three times a week is good in summer time.