Store bought greens

micaela

Hello
I was looking on the Web to see what sort of greens can a greek tortoise have that you can buy in the grocery store but couldn't find much information I know they can have romaine and endive but what else can they eat from the grocery store ?

W Shaw

The Tortoise Table is a good source of info. I give my Russian spring mix (but make sure it doesn't have a lot of spinach), collard greens, endive, belgian endive, radicchio, watercress, occasional mustard or turnip greens, zucchini, escarole, Chayote, butternut squash (prescribed by his vet to get his weight up, but not appropriate in large quantities on a normal diet), a little romaine occasionally, cucumber (occasionally). I've tried a lot of other things that some tortoises like but he wasn't fond of: arugala, opuntia cactus, cilantro, sage, fennel, culinary flowers (He'd eat the snapdragons but none of the others). I also just look through the salad mix bags, just to see what's in them. If there's nothing unsafe, I'll buy it and let him try it out. I don't give him fruit, because it's too sugary for a Russian, but some people say a little bite of apple won't do any harm occasionally. The zucchini is in the mix as an enrichment thing. I can cut a good-sized wedge of it and he can work at it all day.

Greeks may have slightly different dietary needs, but I don't think anything on the above list will do him any harm, fed in moderation, as part of a varied diet.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
The tortoise table is ultra conservative about acceptable food items, that is probably more a good thing than not.

USDA has a food quality database as do numerous health and nutrition sites (mostly which indicate you will either live forever or die because you eat something).

The propensity of available food quality data on the web and it's easy access make we wonder about your OP.