Grocery Store Greens Good

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
I went to an H-Mart here in Dallas earlier this week. The produce department is the most amazing thing I have seen in a very long time. I bought well over a weeks worth of food items for my babies for very little money. I also bought a few snacks for myself, lol. If you have not tried an Asian store, I would suggest you look for the Asian market place in your city. There is SO much to explore there and so many of the things you think you have to grow for your little guys are actually grocery items in these markets!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Saleama said:
I went to an H-Mart here in Dallas earlier this week. The produce department is the most amazing thing I have seen in a very long time. I bought well over a weeks worth of food items for my babies for very little money. I also bought a few snacks for myself, lol. If you have not tried an Asian store, I would suggest you look for the Asian market place in your city. There is SO much to explore there and so many of the things you think you have to grow for your little guys are actually grocery items in these markets!

I have to admit it, my primary driver is to walk down an aisle, find something I have no clue about, buy it, then figure out how to prepare it for myself. Mostly great results a and few turkeys for my taste.

Glad for you and your tortoises.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
Perhaps not well placed in the OP, but the store is H-mart. There is also a Viet Namese grocery here, Vinh- something, and a few others, Lucky Seafood etc. When I lived in New Jersey the 'asian' grocery stores were even more numerous than here in sunny San Diego, and often simply named "Asian Foods".

In Philadelphia most of this was available at a store catering to people from the Indian subcontinent.

Will
The place you described sounds like Mira Mesa at sunny San Diego

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hello can you fed leopard tortoise the leafy greens rom carrot tops?
http://www.feedipedia.org/node/539

I would offer it alone at first to interpret palatable-ness and desirability. Then if it is eaten at some - - go ahead and add it to your mix. I have fed it out sometimes, as I have also mixed carrot greens into my own salads, it has a somewhat bitter taste. I found when I have grown carrots the greens from the thinning out process, before a giant tap root grows, are the best tasting.

Keith D.

Arizona
If your going to feed grocery produce please make sure your getting organic.

JLM

5 Year Member
Pensacola Florida
https://www.dropbox.com/sc/8zh6xag5huyc78i/cLRJCvGlpm

This is a link to a progression of things that I can get, in addition to those you see in the first post. Then with many more images, you see how I chop it up, and what the end result is. I think even if my tortoises could use tweezers, and had them, they are no going to able to pick out one thing over the other so well. If they refuse all, that's Ok today, tomorrow is another day. Eventually they acquiesce, and eat it all.

If you seek an explanation for an image, shout it out with the sequence number please.

Will

Great thread but the album is empty ...did it move? Is it still available?

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
@JLM I don't know what happened to the drop box images. I have posted several salads as have a few others on the meandering thread "live Naked People" in the personal promotion sub forum.

I chop across most leafy heads of greens from about one inch near the top where it is very leafy, to about and 1/8 inch near the bottom where it is mostly stalk. I got a hand crank food grinder for squash, yams/sweet potato, and cactus pad.

I try to make each salad comprise of no less than 6 varieties of greens, with an emphasis in descending order, on escarole -> Romaine -> Spring mix (4 or five kinds of greens right there), arugula, dandelion greens, and then some other thing I might pick or get like hibiscus leaves, grape leaves, mulberry leaves. I also include a large potion of some kind of flower about once a week. Most often for it availability to me Cape Honey Suckle blossoms. Hibiscus flowers usually get prioritize for a few species over the general salad mix. For a few species I chop and mix in mushrooms to the base mix.

Reactions: JLM