still time to smooth out pyramided shell?

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
So I got a russian the other day. He/she is about 3 yrs old (around 3"). The shell is very lumpy. Kind of weird to see a russian with a pyramided shell. It is captive-bred. Is there still a way for his shell to smooth out? I keep him in an outside enclosure and have been feeding him weeds, grasses, and flowers. He eats well.The lady I got him from showed me another russian who is less than a year old and has the same pyramided shell. Is it because they are captive-bred that their shells have become this way? I have a bigger russian (about 5" in size) who isn't perfectly smooth but I wouldn't consider his shell badly pyramided in any way.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises get that way because of several things - not enough room to exercise, no food variety, no sunlight or good UVB from an expensive light and being kept too dry.

Now that your tortoise is outside, the new growth will start to look smooth, but the original bumps will never go away. As he grows they will look less bumpy, but they will always be there.

Subersibo

10 Year Member!
Here is a pic where you can clearly see the pyramiding. Not sure how severe this is but I've only seen this on sulcatas and leopards from pictures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
He's pretty bumpy, but it doesn't look like metabolic bone disease. He'll be just fine. The bumps only add to his cuteness!