Dietary Health & Shell

bigballofyarn

I have a Russian hatchling. I already read though the care sheet. Please give me personal opinions that you've acquired through knowledge or experience.

He's been eating "spring mix" every day. I use the calcium spray every other day.

One question I came up with while reading is how smooth his shell is supposed to be. It wasn't smooth when I got him last week, and isn't any smoother now. It's not lumpy though. It's just kinda groovy, like if you were to rub tree bark, but not as bad as tree bark. It more closely feels like his shell is still growing and shaping and that all the lines are so close together that they only feel rough. I could be wrong.

Another thing I was wondering about is if he's just picky or normal. He won't touch any of the red leaves that come with the spring mix. So, I started separating everything when I buy the package. I have salad for myself and and for him now.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I think you might be confusing new growth "rings" with shell pyramiding. the avatar photo doesn't seem to show pyramiding.
Also it's not at all unusual for a tortoise to pick and choose food items.:)

keepergale

5 Year Member
san diego
Wow your tortoise will not eat the red leaves. That is odd. Tortoises usually love red food above all other.

bigballofyarn

I think you might be confusing new growth "rings" with shell pyramiding. the avatar photo doesn't seem to show pyramiding.
Also it's not at all unusual for a tortoise to pick and choose food items.:)
It's definitely NOT pyramiding. He doesn't have a mohawk shell. I was just wondering why people often use the word "smooth" to describe the shell.

Wow your tortoise will not eat the red leaves. That is odd. Tortoises usually love red food above all other.
I guess he's psycho, like me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have a Russian hatchling. I already read though the care sheet. Please give me personal opinions that you've acquired through knowledge or experience.

He's been eating "spring mix" every day. I use the calcium spray every other day.

One question I came up with while reading is how smooth his shell is supposed to be. It wasn't smooth when I got him last week, and isn't any smoother now. It's not lumpy though. It's just kinda groovy, like if you were to rub tree bark, but not as bad as tree bark. It more closely feels like his shell is still growing and shaping and that all the lines are so close together that they only feel rough. I could be wrong.

Another thing I was wondering about is if he's just picky or normal. He won't touch any of the red leaves that come with the spring mix. So, I started separating everything when I buy the package. I have salad for myself and and for him now.

Spring mix every day is not so good. Spring mix is made of of a few lettuces and greens, They need much more fiber than that and much more variety.

Calcium every other day is too much. Too much calcium or too often interferes with the absorption of other important minerals and trace elements and it can cause an imbalance. The combo of lack of fiber and variety, plus too much calcium is almost certain to make your tortoise start eating its substrate and/or rocks and pebbles.

When we talk about "smooth" growth we are referring to the lack of a pyramid on each scute. We don't mean smooth like a cue ball. Russians do have quite a bit of "texture" to their shells, but that is a different thing than pyramiding.

You ought to be adding some weeds, or blended grass hay, or ZooMed Grassland pellets, or Herbal Hay, or something to the spring mix and other greens that you will be feeding.

bigballofyarn

Spring mix every day is not so good. Spring mix is made of of a few lettuces and greens, They need much more fiber than that and much more variety.

Calcium every other day is too much. Too much calcium or too often interferes with the absorption of other important minerals and trace elements and it can cause an imbalance. The combo of lack of fiber and variety, plus too much calcium is almost certain to make your tortoise start eating its substrate and/or rocks and pebbles.

When we talk about "smooth" growth we are referring to the lack of a pyramid on each scute. We don't mean smooth like a cue ball. Russians do have quite a bit of "texture" to their shells, but that is a different thing than pyramiding.

You ought to be adding some weeds, or blended grass hay, or ZooMed Grassland pellets, or Herbal Hay, or something to the spring mix and other greens that you will be feeding.
He gets ZooMed Gourmet Tortoise food.
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...zOjE6IjAiO3M6ODoiU2VhcmNoX3kiO3M6MToiMCI7fQ==

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

bigballofyarn

That looks okay.

Lots of variety is the key. From the grocery store favor endive and escarole, but also use collard, mustard and turnip greens, cilantro, italian dandelions, carrot tops, celery tops, bok choy, etc...

Thanks!
Tom, does my pet look like he's doing well so far from the picture I posted?

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I have trouble finding comparison pics for my baby RT as well, there don't seem to be as many posted as some of the other species. Here is a pic of my baby's shell, born in late June of this year :)

Thank you for posting yours! It really helps to see and read feedback. She's my first, so kinda flying blind!

Attachments

• 1445883204153.jpg
    1445883204153.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 13