Still in planning for winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
image-1743299820.png

This is my enclosure. During the summer the temps have been perfect. We usually have pretty cool winters and the building I will be keeping him in is not insulated. Daytime temps will not be a concern. At night however, I'm still trying to decide. I'm thinking CHE with an adjustable stand and either a timer after my MVB turns off or use with a thermostat. Definitely getting the 100 watt bulb just in case. Then do I put the secondary heat source over the hide area or near the middle. Feel like I'm way over thinking this.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
The building is my garage/workshop. It's where the enclosure is now. He stays outside during the summer.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use a thermostat so you will know what the temps are. I would also give him a heated hide and one that doesn't have its own heat to go into and also have an area outside the hide that he can warm up under. I would have all these on a thermostat. That's just what I would do. I have not had to house one outside yet in winter. But, this winter I am going to have an outside area in a greenhouse. That is how will be setting it up. A warm up area in the greenhouse and a warm up area in a hide. Mine will only ve outside during the nicer day hours. Mine is a 17 mo. Old leopard.

colatoise

10 Year Member!
South Carolina
Set up ceramic heat emitter with thermostat. What are optimum night temps for Greek tortoises?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
My vet told me to aim for 16-20C (65-68F if I got my sums right) minimum overnight last winter. I used a thermostatically controlled electric radiator to raise the ambient room temperature.

I left a CHE on all night as well which he gravitated towards!

It won't be an issue for me this year. Joe will hibernate... Last year was unusual because he was sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.