Squishy carapace

ShellyTheTortoise71

This is urgent. I have just realized that my year old tortoise has a squishy carapace. I applied a small amount of pressure and it moved. It is still very squishy. Her gualars move if I gently squeeze her shell as well. Is this normal? Will she be alright? Thanks.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Usually by a year they've firmed up pretty good. A tiny bit of 'give' is ok, but not squishy.

Be sure to feed calcium-rich foods and put a little pinch of calcium powder on the food a couple times a week. If he doesn't get real sunshine, you need a UVB light. do you have one? Is it fairly new?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Usually by a year they've firmed up pretty good. A tiny bit of 'give' is ok, but not squishy.

Be sure to feed calcium-rich foods and put a little pinch of calcium powder on the food a couple times a week. If he doesn't get real sunshine, you need a UVB light. do you have one? Is it fairly new?
I have a uvb bulb, but she spends most of her time outside. I usually put calcium powder in her food. Is she in any danger?

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Is this the tortoise that recently went missing? Was she firm before she disappeared?

Last edited:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
The reason I was asking about photos was actually not to get a good look at the carapace. Are you 100% sure the tortoise you found is the tortoise you lost?

A yearling tortoise who has regular time outside and appropriate dietary calcium sources is unlikely to become soft.

ShellyTheTortoise71

The reason I was asking about photos was actually not to get a good look at the carapace. Are you 100% sure the tortoise you found is the tortoise you lost?

A yearling tortoise who has regular time outside and appropriate dietary calcium sources is unlikely to become soft.
Oh. Yes I am positive. She had the same two yellow nail polish stripes on her shell. I have removed it now, but no other tortoise would probably have that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
a captive tortoise should be pretty firm by a year but anomalies do pop up from time to time. the important thing is whether or not your tortoise's shell is going soft or just taking longer than normal.

ShellyTheTortoise71

a captive tortoise should be pretty firm by a year but anomalies do pop up from time to time. the important thing is whether or not your tortoise's shell is going soft or just taking longer than normal.
How can I tell if she's taking longer or if there is a serious problem?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
How can I tell if she's taking longer or if there is a serious problem?
two ways really one is to wait and see if she gets softer the other is to know whether or not she's been soft this entire time or if she was hard & gotten softer.