Soft squishy shell

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
I just purchased two hatchling Northern diamondback terrapins that are about the size of a quarter. When I pulled them out of the box the first one was very active large and has a pretty firm shell and is moving around a lot, however the second smaller hatchling even though his eyes are alert I noticed his shell is extremely soft and squishy he seems to be active, not as much as the bigger one but still moving around with bright eyes. I am very concerned with how squishy his shell is and am looking for advice as to what I can do for the little guy.

Smaller one on top of photo has the soft squishy shell.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1390326261.622950.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pennsylvania
I wouldn't worry about it to much, hatchling can squishy shells as you put it. Specially smaller ones. Once it starts getting growth and a good diet the shell will firm up. Im gonna take a guess and say you got these from Dave. Ive answered this same question all over the internet with dbts from him. As far I can tell he gives very bad care during the time he has them.

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Diamondbacks4Life said:
I wouldn't worry about it to much, hatchling can squishy shells as you put it. Specially smaller ones. Once it starts getting growth and a good diet the shell will firm up. Im gonna take a guess and say you got these from Dave. Ive answered this same question all over the internet with dbts from him. As far I can tell he gives very bad care during the time he has them.

Not sure if the breeder is Dave I bought them from a pet shop in Las Vegas called Exotic Pets I can call and ask where they got them from.

Diamondbacks4Life

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Ah, they might of supplied them theirselves lol. Strike that last part then about Dave. Though im not a fan of Exotics either.

ShadowFox_22311

5 Year Member
Ya around New Years I rescued a hatchling boxie from them that was in terrible shape and although these guys seem to be in better shape I still have my concerns about them :(

Wartortle

Southern California (Simi Valley)
It might have been due to not enough sunlight, proper heat, or diet. I have a baby leopard and at first his shell was a bit soft, but after a week or so with proper care, his shell is normal