Squirt’s upgrade

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Sorry about that... Another month in the old viv won't make things drastically worse, though.

As for the extension space.. Maybe her old viv can be used as an extension ("double-decker"). Both enclosures - her old and boa's should fit on top... Or a double-decker with a greenhouse...
Yeah your probably right, doubt it’s going to get much worse than it is, the levels are all good which is the main thing so we’ll keep on top of them over the coming weeks.

Unfortunately her old viv won’t work for an extension cause of the current state it’s in, it’s done well for the time he’s had it, it’s housed a few of his desert reptiles over the years before I knew him, but due to her humidity it’s finally giving up lol, shame really cause it’s a lovely looking viv, but yeah the wood is definitely on the decline of no return😕I do like your thinking of a double decker situation though! That would definitely work better in their lounge, I would have to ask the viv company about the possibility of both an extension viv(which I think a 6x2 would be best cause it’d be the same size as his boa enclosure)and the snake viv on top, they always say to check cause if the weight was ever too much for the glass, I’d need the written guarantee from the company that we were advised it’d be ok, that way if it wasn’t, they’d be liable if that makes sense, it’s all suggested on their website to cover themselves.
So failing that, if the weight would be considered too much, I was thinking my original idea of a grow tent/greenhouse style extension she could access via a ramp from the bigger viv, I just don’t know if they’ll go for that, but possibly if it meant no rehome🤞🏻Either way, we’ll take our time now setting up the current upgrade, I’ll let them all get their breath back before I’d mention an extension cause I don’t want to overwhelm them too much.

But over this coming year now I’ll start having a brainstorm on how to get an extension on the go, theres not too much time pressure for now anyway as I’m sure she’s going be very happy with the extra space she’ll have for a while, plus tbh think I need time to get my own head round it after all these damn curveballs😂if they refuse to extend I’ll have to think of tentatively approaching the re home situation in the future with them.

Thanks as always for your helpful suggestions alex! Hope you’re doing good😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I think, triple stack vivs are too much. It's going to be pretty heavy and really hard to clean and maintain. I presumed, that boa's viv is the same size (4x2) as Squirt's old one and can be fit across and not along of the new enclosure (that would have given 5x4 feet of extension space). If it's 6x2 - we need other ideas :)

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think, triple stack vivs are too much. It's going to be pretty heavy and really hard to clean and maintain. I presumed, that boa's viv is the same size (4x2) as Squirt's old one and can be fit across and not along of the new enclosure (that would have given 5x4 feet of extension space). If it's 6x2 - we need other ideas :)
Yeah it’s probably not even worth me asking to put two up there cause I do think it’d be too much😕
my hope is they’d let me add, at the very least, a 4x2, either grow tent or potentially a modified viv(we’d probably find a decent one on fb market for a good price if we look long enough)that I could cut an access point in on one of the ends, and have it placed so the entire set up is an ‘L’ shape, it would unfortunately eat up into their lounge space, hence I’m not sure I can convince them😣but I think in years to come, especially if she starts maxing out in size, he’ll understand we just can’t keep her in that sized a space, he might get stubborn after all the money spent which I understand, but it’s got to be about what’s best for her❤️
Absolute worst case scenario, they don’t extend and refuse rehome, meaning it’s a 7x4 for life😣the only comfort I can draw from that is I stopped her being put into a 6x2, had I not been involved that’s what she’d have been put into today, so got to take the wins where I can I guess😕I do really hope I can get creative and work something out for her in the future though, I’d hate to see her go😔

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
You've done so much for her. This is really cool.

I think you are right that later her owner might consider vivarium extension. Usually it's obvious how tortoises benefit from a larger space and that they use every inch of it. So a more happy and more active tortoise is the best argument.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
You've done so much for her. This is really cool.

I think you are right that later her owner might consider vivarium extension. Usually it's obvious how tortoises benefit from a larger space and that they use every inch of it. So a more happy and more active tortoise is the best argument.
Bless you thank you, she’s been worth all the effort for how much happier she’s going to be❤️

Yeah I did very briefly mention the idea of some sort of add on earlier and neither my mom or him sounded thrilled about the idea but it wasn’t a no lol😂I think like you say, over these coming years now, they’ll watch her grow and become more active and once all the dust has settled from the stress of this upgrade, perhaps they’ll be more inclined to get their head around an extension, I can’t imagine him wanting to give her up easily so I’m sure we’ll all put our heads together in the future and think of something🤞🏻
I’ll save up myself over time now to take any financial stress away from that idea as I’d be more than happy to treat her myself, after everything we’ve been through she’s feeling more like the family red foot lol, so we’re all pulling our weight to give her the best life possible❤️
No matter what the case ends up being, even if we do have to look for a new home down the line, we have her for a good few years to come now where we can spoil her as much as possible like she deserves❤️

Dazzbee

London
That's how my Besha's enclosure looks now. I didn't want to post it, until everything's polished out but I feel it can be useful just now as it is.

It's a 3x6 foot with a 1.5ft gallery along the the wall. There is only one flower pot (a pothos in the middle), but I will hang/place it on a stand to free up space, all other plants are in the plant wall pockets (that saves them from being stomped to death, as well).

In the middle below there is a hide made of an opaque plastic container. On the gallery temps reach 83-84F, under the gallery - 77F, in front, where the pothos is - the same 83-84F. There are ramps to the gallery on both sides. Humidity stays in range of 85-100%.

So far, Besha has a choice of hides - under the ramps, under the gallery, under the plants on the gallery.

Disclaimer: It's not a long-term indoors enclosure, climate here permits to let her outdoors almost everyday for a couple of hours. And the enclosure is a work in progress - some issues, like ramps are to be improved.
Where did you get the wall background from

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
There was a site recommended above (or in the other thread) who makes custom vinyl backgrounds: https://www.vivcreations.co.uk/

But in my enclosure there is no wall background (bright green walls are covered with an EVA mat, I've used for insulation and which is to be removed). All plants are live ones (there is a curtain rail with "plant pockets" hanging from it and each pocket has a potted plant inside).

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yeah if you’re UK based I definitely recommend viv creations, their background options are so cool! Think I might get his boa one as a present at some point as the tanks will be stacked😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I made the discovery today that an 8x4 could have fit into their living room by having it face a different way, turns out they really didn’t want it that way cause of the awkward spacing in there, so the decision was made to cut it a foot to fit the corner it’s going into, I’ll admit, it did make me snap and caused some tension, as from my point of view, it’s a selfish reason to not give her the bare minimum of what she was needing.
I don’t think either of them are down to have me build an extension, and I think I’ll have a hard time ever convincing them to re home after all this.

I am trying to see it from their point in that it wouldn’t have been ideal having an 8 foot viv in their living room, the space would’ve been incredibly awkward, blocking both a heater and easy window access, and I get this has all been a lot to take on board these past weeks, I do appreciate non of it’s been easy on them. I’m trying to stay respectful in that it’s their space and I can’t make this decision for them.

But after all my time and effort I’ve put into research and building stuff for her, knowing she’s not getting what she should have over the positioning was frustrating to learn😕
I’m feeling kind of defeated and idk how much longer I can be involved in her care without causing tension in the family, which I obviously don’t want😣
I’ll bite my tongue as much as I can🥲and I can’t wait to see her out of her tiny viv! but knowing everything you guys have taught me, it’ll be weighing on my mind she’s still going in something too small😭

Do any of you have any suggestions of things I could do for squirt off my own back to soften the impact of her being in a less than ideal sized environment? shall I try and build her some sort of portable tent set up they can let her roam each day? Originally it was going to be an extension idea but that’s very unlikely to happen any time soon if at all, is there any safe boredom breakers I could put into her viv? I’ve struggled to really find any suitable ‘toys’ as such, but maybe something to encourage her to forage around? Any recommendations would be appreciated🙏🏻
I’ll try and look into that side of things more and have a look at some different threads

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Yes, I understand your frustration. However, home should be comfortable for all...

You can make a platform in the enclosure to gain lost 4sq.ft. Also, if there is a balcony some space can be set up there.

The best enrichment for tortoises is breaking "line of sight". They can "map" any complex territory, but for some reason this works. Maybe it's natural curiosity. Also, making small changes from time to time helps (like replacing a plant or moving a food dish). With a large tortoise in a small viv all of that will fail, but you have fair amount of space.

I think, you need to finish this project first and then look for other options. Maybe you can "rehome" her to your place eventually.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Yes, I understand your frustration. However, home should be comfortable for all...

You can make a platform in the enclosure to gain lost 4sq.ft. Also, if there is a balcony some space can be set up there.

The best enrichment for tortoises is breaking "line of sight". They can "map" any complex territory, but for some reason this works. Maybe it's natural curiosity. Also, making small changes from time to time helps (like replacing a plant or moving a food dish). With a large tortoise in a small viv all of that will fail, but you have fair amount of space.

I think, you need to finish this project first and then look for other options. Maybe you can "rehome" her to your place eventually.
You’re right, I was probably being a bit too harsh tbh, think I was just thrown after all the build up lol.
Oooo ok, I can definitely change up placements of things to make stuff more interesting! I’ll try my best to break her line of vision up within the viv too😊I probably need to spend some more time looking at the more creative sides of set ups now, I’ve been so focused on all the technical sides, making sure every need is being met, but I need to start thinking more about different landscapes for her, which is always the more fun part imo😁
Yeah I definitely need to take a breath and just focus on this initial upgrade😂I keep failing to remind myself how big a change this going to be for her already! She’s not going to know she’s lost a foot, to her, her world is getting bigger, which is going to be so wonderful to watch🥹

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
My friends mom potentially has a smaller viv going free!😁im trying to think up a way I could make it into some sort of platform within the new viv, I’m not sure how tall it is but either way my idea would be to take it apart to cut down, replace the glass front with wood, and make some sort of ramp up to it(making sure the incline isn’t too steep of course) and either make a stool stand for it to sit on, or screw thick oak legs to it, creating something kind of like this.. idk, thoughts? My worry is with it being higher, if the temp would be too hot up there, or whether it’s a practical design..

Attachments

• 6A716856-091B-4E35-A31D-8DAF1C7018C6.jpeg
    6A716856-091B-4E35-A31D-8DAF1C7018C6.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Will it fit the room? :)
How do you plan to place this viv relative to the new one? And how to connect them (cut the wooden wall or something else?

I can't get the whole picture yet :)

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
My friends mom potentially has a smaller viv going free!😁im trying to think up a way I could make it into some sort of platform within the new viv, I’m not sure how tall it is but either way my idea would be to take it apart to cut down, replace the glass front with wood, and make some sort of ramp up to it(making sure the incline isn’t too steep of course) and either make a stool stand for it to sit on, or screw thick oak legs to it, creating something kind of like this.. idk, thoughts? My worry is with it being higher, if the temp would be too hot up there, or whether it’s a practical design..
If you are thinking of putting it inside the current one, you will not want it near the CHE's that will be too hot. I tried to put a 4" high boardwalk in mojo's enclosure and it was getting close to 100° on top of it.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I made the discovery today that an 8x4 could have fit into their living room by having it face a different way, turns out they really didn’t want it that way cause of the awkward spacing in there, so the decision was made to cut it a foot to fit the corner it’s going into, I’ll admit, it did make me snap and caused some tension, as from my point of view, it’s a selfish reason to not give her the bare minimum of what she was needing.
I don’t think either of them are down to have me build an extension, and I think I’ll have a hard time ever convincing them to re home after all this.

I am trying to see it from their point in that it wouldn’t have been ideal having an 8 foot viv in their living room, the space would’ve been incredibly awkward, blocking both a heater and easy window access, and I get this has all been a lot to take on board these past weeks, I do appreciate non of it’s been easy on them. I’m trying to stay respectful in that it’s their space and I can’t make this decision for them.

But after all my time and effort I’ve put into research and building stuff for her, knowing she’s not getting what she should have over the positioning was frustrating to learn😕
I’m feeling kind of defeated and idk how much longer I can be involved in her care without causing tension in the family, which I obviously don’t want😣
I’ll bite my tongue as much as I can🥲and I can’t wait to see her out of her tiny viv! but knowing everything you guys have taught me, it’ll be weighing on my mind she’s still going in something too small😭

Do any of you have any suggestions of things I could do for squirt off my own back to soften the impact of her being in a less than ideal sized environment? shall I try and build her some sort of portable tent set up they can let her roam each day? Originally it was going to be an extension idea but that’s very unlikely to happen any time soon if at all, is there any safe boredom breakers I could put into her viv? I’ve struggled to really find any suitable ‘toys’ as such, but maybe something to encourage her to forage around? Any recommendations would be appreciated🙏🏻.
I’ll try and look into that side of things more and have a look at some different threads

Don't allow that 8x4 minimum nonsense into your head. Its not a 'rule,' its just an opinion. A lot can be done with 7x4 if thats what you have to work with. I would take a thoughtfully designed smaller enclosure over something thats just trying to hit certain parameters.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Will it fit the room? :)
How do you plan to place this viv relative to the new one? And how to connect them (cut the wooden wall or something else?

I can't get the whole picture yet :)
My original thinking was to place it inside the viv itself to create a double tier in there, but as @mojo_1 pointed out, I won’t want it near the CHEs, I am worried it’ll get too hot, I would definitely put it into the ‘cool’ end if I try it, I’ve attached a few more diagrams to hopefully give you a better idea(sorry my drawing skills are shocking😂) but yeah I’m not entirely convinced it could work just yet, would be a really handy way to give her more surface to explore if it did though, the second image is essentially what im trying to make it look like..

Attachments

• A17240A5-ECC1-4CEF-A608-461677F82B1A.jpeg
    A17240A5-ECC1-4CEF-A608-461677F82B1A.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 93ADAFFA-C9BB-4D4E-8E05-7460ABD1F42E.jpeg
    93ADAFFA-C9BB-4D4E-8E05-7460ABD1F42E.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
If you are thinking of putting it inside the current one, you will not want it near the CHE's that will be too hot. I tried to put a 4" high boardwalk in mojo's enclosure and it was getting close to 100° on top of it.
I’m glad you’ve pointed this out, this was definitely my concern, it potentially won’t work cause of this, it’s probably worth a shot testing considering the viv is free and I’ve got left over plywood to create some sort of ramp, I might pop it in there to test, and if it appears to be completely safe temp wise, I’ll invest in some more of that resin to seal the ramp and legs and modify the small viv itself🙂

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Don't allow that 8x4 minimum nonsense into your head. Its not a 'rule,' its just an opinion. A lot can be done with 7x4 if thats what you have to work with. I would take a thoughtfully designed smaller enclosure over something thats just trying to hit certain parameters.
Thank you I really appreciate your input on that, I’m definitely still paranoid about her not having enough space, but we’re all putting so much thought into the set up to make sure it’s the best it can possibly be for her❤️

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
My original thinking was to place it inside the viv itself to create a double tier in there, but as @mojo_1 pointed out, I won’t want it near the CHEs, I am worried it’ll get too hot, I would definitely put it into the ‘cool’ end if I try it, I’ve attached a few more diagrams to hopefully give you a better idea(sorry my drawing skills are shocking😂) but yeah I’m not entirely convinced it could work just yet, would be a really handy way to give her more surface to explore if it did though, the second image is essentially what im trying to make it look like..
I’m wondering.. if this smaller viv is potentially shorter in height, if I’d get away with leaving the glass in the front which could maybe block some of the heat if it is too warm up there? I’m not sure.. suppose I’ll have to measure n see