Squirt’s upgrade

Alex and the Redfoot

Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
Changing substrate is not probably necessary, either bark or cypress mulch don't mold easily. Hopefully, a simple "turn-over" will help to keep humidity and prevent mold from appearing.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Changing substrate is not probably necessary, either bark or cypress mulch don't mold easily. Hopefully, a simple "turn-over" will help to keep humidity and prevent mold from appearing.
Fair enough, she’ll probably be coming up due for a refresh anyway to keep her going but we’ll see, feel a bit less panicked now, just need to get these temps back up, she’s fine during the day right now, though I’d still like them a little higher personally

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Went ahead and ordered this to use as a liner, it’ll be coming tomorrow, I’ll have to bag the substrate up and put it back in as there isn’t a fresh bag here at the moment, does anyone know how I could secure this in there? Be ideal if I could adhere it to the sides somehow but I don’t like using a load of tape in there as idk how safe it is, any recommendations?

Her floodlight has not long gone off and the temp is dropping too low again(currently 74 in middle), I’ll try upping the thermostat again but if that doesn’t work, as soon as they’re back I’m gonna get him to install one of the new ones and possibly replace/add another ceramic, the temps are definitely whats worrying me most right now😕

Attachments

• 28030234-90D3-45FD-9867-8A4B0ADE1CC4.png
    28030234-90D3-45FD-9867-8A4B0ADE1CC4.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Found some voc free tape I’ve ordered, I’m confident I can keep the mould from getting any where near her living space for these few weeks, but definitely need them to help me fix the temps as soon as possible

Attachments

• CED01FD8-1FEB-495C-9717-AF9F1E2F4576.png
    CED01FD8-1FEB-495C-9717-AF9F1E2F4576.png
    184.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4AB1D91E-C6A4-4B86-BFD7-83CDED3F472B.png
    4AB1D91E-C6A4-4B86-BFD7-83CDED3F472B.png
    73.2 KB · Views: 1

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Just wanted to post a quick slightly more positive update, managed to get the liner in and use the tape to seal everything, sealed all underneath with it too, I think it’ll definitely do the job we need it to till the upgrade, so thanks for the shower curtain suggestion @Alex and the Redfoot !
Plus funnily enough since putting the liner in, her temps are safer again, so wasn’t the thermostat or che after all, all I can think is the seal has possibly gone all along the bottom and it was causing heat to escape, who knows, I’m just glad she’s safer for the time being, I can’t wait to get her out of there now!😊

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Perhaps, you've got the "chimney effect" because of that seam, sucking cold air from below. But that means, that somewhere on top there is a vent or holes for hot air to escape.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hides have officially been started guys! Stay tuned for progress lol😁
Nearly just about lost it covering these! I’ve never worked with resin before and didn’t realise it’d be like painting with glue!🥲

Attachments

• 7977F47F-C9CE-4D8A-9D43-4B7CE2415378.jpeg
    7977F47F-C9CE-4D8A-9D43-4B7CE2415378.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 2

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Got our delivery date for the viv finally! It’ll be here next Thursday😁
I was thinking of getting some of this pond liner for the bottom, I know it’ll be ok sealed but after what’s happened with the old one, I feel like it’d be a good idea to have some sort of lining under the substrate.
Is this ok for her?

Attachments

• F7ED7573-2C00-4458-AE9F-517D5BC0A2A8.png
    F7ED7573-2C00-4458-AE9F-517D5BC0A2A8.png
    80.7 KB · Views: 1

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Pond liner is a good thing, but can be hard to work with (due to thickness). And you'll need some good duct tape to make sure that water won't get below it.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Pond liner is a good thing, but can be hard to work with (due to thickness). And you'll need some good duct tape to make sure that water won't get below it.
Yay good to know😊yeah I did wonder how tricky it’d be, I do think after what’s happened with her old one, it’d be worth the effort for the protection though.
It’s a big enough piece that I can have it going up the sides, a bit over the substrate, would the weight of all that not be enough to secure it in place? I get what you’re saying about the water though, would it not be ok as long as I make sure they aren’t pouring any water behind it and just directly onto the substrate? Or would potential wall condensation drip down?
I only ask cause the current tape I used to keep the shower curtain liner in her old one, bits of it keep falling, I think the moisture isn’t allowing tape to hold up well over time in there, I wonder if the aquatic seal would work?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Also I know it sounds silly, but I get worried about what kind adhesives that are on the tapes, the one I found said it was voc free so I went with it, but like I say, it keeps falling😕I can’t seem to find any strong ones that I can be assured are safe to use..

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
With all resins, vynil, melamine material of the enclosure and such you will need to air it for several days. You can test and adjust heating at the same. I would not worry too much about glue on the tape. Most duct tapes I've used stick just fine in dry conditions.

Condensate will unlikely build up under the liner (there should not be too much humid air beneath). I'm more concerned about pouring water, when dampening substrate and condensat running down from the wall and glass doors

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
With all resins, vynil, melamine material of the enclosure and such you will need to air it for several days. You can test and adjust heating at the same. I would not worry too much about glue on the tape. Most duct tapes I've used stick just fine in dry conditions.

Condensate will unlikely build up under the liner (there should not be too much humid air beneath). I'm more concerned about pouring water, when dampening substrate and condensat running down from the wall and glass doors
Yeah we’re hoping we can get it all built and aired out within 7 days, whilst testing the bulbs&adjusting the heat etc, the seal apparently takes at least 24hrs, so we won’t be able to do anything till that’s at least dried, if all goes well with the heating though, what’s the safest amount of time till we can put her in there? I was thinking if all goes perfectly to plan, 5 days would be ok?
mmm I agree, I think the condensation could drip down underneath too😣but with the tape being exposed constantly to the moisture, I’m worried it won’t hold over time😕wondering if there is a better way.. I’ll have to have a brainstorm

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
I would wait until smell wears out. At least, you should notice it outside the enclosure. None of the materials in use is extremely toxic, however since air ventilation in the enclosure is limited, better to let It vent for a while.

There are tapes for the plumbing works, which can stick even underwater - they should last, I guess. Anyway, we shouldn't expect a wooden enclosure to last forever.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I would wait until smell wears out. At least, you should notice it outside the enclosure. None of the materials in use is extremely toxic, however since air ventilation in the enclosure is limited, better to let It vent for a while.

There are tapes for the plumbing works, which can stick even underwater - they should last, I guess. Anyway, we shouldn't expect a wooden enclosure to last forever.
Fair enough, I’ll definitely tell him we need to wait, we’re just so eager to get her in there now with the old one starting to fail, but obviously want it to be safe😊
ooo ok I’ll have a look, I’m hoping with the right maintenance, as long as we keep on top of the seal and everything, it’ll last her🤞🏻

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Oh, I understand your excitement and impatience about the new enclosure :) But, please, finish everything before moving, don't repeat my mistake :))))

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Oh, I understand your excitement and impatience about the new enclosure :) But, please, finish everything before moving, don't repeat my mistake :))))
Lol no you’re absolutely right, just said to them we’re probably going to have to wait a bit longer than we’d like till we can safely get her in there😂they understand though😊
Luckily all the resin hides have over a week to just sit and air, not that the product really had a smell tbh which is cool😊

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Well guys, the worst possible happened! It’s delivery day, and despite our initial measurements, an 8x4 panel simply wouldn’t go up the stairs, it was literally impossible, needless to say we’re gutted!😭
Lucky for us the company has taken it back to be cut down properly, it’s going to have to go where she is currently in the living room, got slapped with an extra hefty delivery fee which we could really have done without😣

So long and short of it, she’s unfortunately going to be going into a 7x4, so she’s lost a foot😔
Ultimately, we know she can’t stay in that size for a lifetime, but we simply don’t have the time needed to find a suitable new home right at this moment as she can’t stay in her current viv much longer now, it’s on its last legs.
Considering how long she’s been in her 4x2, it will still be a massive improvement and I’m sure she’ll be happy in there for a while, but unless I can convince them to let me build the extension I planned in their living room(which I doubt they’d let me) then down the line, rehoming is going to be the only option, obviously not the outcome any of us want considering how attached we are and much work we’re putting into setting her up, but her needs will need to come first😕

I’m trying to stay positive in that we’re still giving her a much needed and much deserved upgrade and it’ll still look nice for her when done. But I can’t hide how genuinely devastated I am that we can’t provide the size she’s needing😞

It’s going to be another 3 week wait for the re-delivery now, plus the time to air out/set up, so she’s going to be stuck in her old viv for another month or so which sucks! I’m praying I can keep it safe for that long! Cause we’re honestly really struggling with it now😫

Not the update I wanted to give you guys today, but it be what it be😔can't say this hasn’t been one hell of a journey I’ve took you all on eh🥲

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Sorry about that... Another month in the old viv won't make things drastically worse, though.

As for the extension space.. Maybe her old viv can be used as an extension ("double-decker"). Both enclosures - her old and boa's should fit on top... Or a double-decker with a greenhouse...