UVB timing

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as that's a popular brand there then it should be fine.
This is the type of dome but with a ceramic socket
and don't use the clamps on these, they fail and can start a fire or burn your tort.
Screenshot_20231230-194003.png

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ah fair enough, I’m based in the uk and they’re apparently a very reputable brand here, her current ceramic is this brand, she’s going be in this type of enclosure(pic attached) and from a quick look I can only see the ceramic dome style fixtures in a ‘clamp lamp’ design, which I’m not sure would work for this, I’ve attached the type of brackets I was looking at getting
People in the UK tend to let their houses get much colder than we do here in the USA. Also, an 8 foot enclosure is pretty large. I would get two 150 watt CHEs. Even that might not be enough depending on the room temp. If you keep your house unusually warm and 300 watts isn't needed, the thermostat will keep them turned off.

Ceramic based clamp lamps will work perfectly in this application for CHEs, a flood bulb for basking, and LEDs too. Remove the clamp and hang them from the ceiling using screw-in coffee cup holder hooks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as that's a popular brand there then it should be fine.
This is the type of dome but with a ceramic socket
and don't use the clamps on these, they fail and can start a fire or burn your tort.
View attachment 364723
These are the wrong type. These only have the 8.5 inch domes, plastic fixtures and the thiner cords. The ceramic based ones have a longer heavy duty cord and an 11 inch dome.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
People in the UK tend to let their houses get much colder than we do here in the USA. Also, an 8 foot enclosure is pretty large. I would get two 150 watt CHEs. Even that might not be enough depending on the room temp. If you keep your house unusually warm and 300 watts isn't needed, the thermostat will keep them turned off.

Ceramic based clamp lamps will work perfectly in this application for CHEs, a flood bulb for basking, and LEDs too. Remove the clamp and hang them from the ceiling using screw-in coffee cup holder hooks.
I’m with you on that! It gets very cold here especially during winter which drags lol, in her current setup a 60w floodlight and a CHE is keeping her ambient temperature and ground temps(which we check with a temp gun) perfect, I need to check the wattage they’re using on their CHE really, someone pointed out that going from a 4ft length by 1.5ft depth and a nearly 2ft height to her upgraded size which will be 8ft length by 3.5ft depth by 2.5ft height, that essentially the volume of her enclosure will roughly be 5 times the size, so in theory with her being kept in pretty much the same part of the house with her upgrade, we’ll need roughly 250watts total to heat her space(though I think I need to check her CHE wattage first) I was originally going to recommend two 100w CHE with a 60w floodlight ran on the same thermostat, but now I’m considering suggesting two 100w CHE(as to not risk a possible hot spot) alongside a potential 3rd 50w CHE, coupled with how ever many hrs uv they’re comfortable adjusting her to, and 12hrs of led light, again all three CHE to be ran on the same thermostat.
I’m really not sure which will be better cause her 60w floodlight does maintain a lovely ground temp for her here, and gives the option of a slightly warmer basking spot in the upgrade, but I’m hearing red foots don’t necessarily like that?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
These are the wrong type. These only have the 8.5 inch domes, plastic fixtures and the thiner cords. The ceramic based ones have a longer heavy duty cord and an 11 inch dome.
Would you mind sending a pic of the ceramic ones you’re on about? I can’t seem to find any for some reason😣

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK

*mean volume not size lol

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
All the ones I’m seeing aren’t uk plug adapted unless I’m being a plonk and not looking properly🥲

mojo_1

Saint Clairsville OH
All the ones I’m seeing aren’t uk plug adapted unless I’m being a plonk and not looking properly🥲

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I didn't pay attention to size, I was only showing a pic of what they look like. I also, in my post, said they had to have a ceramic socket.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ah thanks I found some! Mind you she doesn’t currently have metal dome fixtures and her temps read fine, is it possible she’d be ok without them?
The metal domes helps the heat to be more focused downward. Heat rises, so without them, the heat is just going up. The metal domes also heat up and help to warm and because they get hot, the ceramic won't melt.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Ah thanks I found some! Mind you she doesn’t currently have metal dome fixtures and her temps read fine, is it possible she’d be ok without them?

CHE don't need dome fixtures. Something similar to the ceramic fittings from Arcadia are probably more common over there. The cage will help keep you from accidently brushing up against the CHE.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
CHE don't need dome fixtures. Something similar to the ceramic fittings from Arcadia are probably more common over there. The cage will help keep you from accidently brushing up against the CHE.

Thanks, appreciate that! I think seeing as her current enclosure doesn’t have the metal domes and both her ground temps and ambient temp is perfect, I’m inclined to say she won’t need them in her upgrade too as it’s a similar design, just bigger, if needs be we’ll add them down the line though