SQUEALING!!!

Teesh

2 weeks after CHARLIEs urate stone has passed, my sisters have called me (they're babysitting and they know how to do it) and said that he was opening his mouth and squealing, this has been going on for the past 10 minutes!!!!! Every 30 seconds to a minute!
The cool side is about 70° and the warm is about 80° or even a tiny bit less we don't understand what's going on it's the first time this happens! He really seems fineother than that! Please respond ASAP we are wondering if we should take him to a vet! Papers are with someone else so we don't know if we need the papers to go to the vet!
Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Chances are good he's trying to pass another stone and it hurts.

Teesh

My sisters checked his cloaca but there seems to be nothing !
Also, he is pretty calm, not stressed, I'll post updates. He has been getting baths every day for 20-30 mins ... I hope it's nothing too serious !
Thank you @YvonneG

Teesh

Also, he is pretty calm, not stressed, I'll post updates. He has been getting baths every day for 20-30 mins ... I hope it's nothing too serious !
Thank you @YvonneG
They turned the heater on and then he started doing it less and less!

FujiBaird

Whew, that's a relief! I'm guessing from your picture that you have a Hermann's tortoise? I do too, they're so cute and personable. I'm glad the extra heat helped, because 80 seemed a little low to me for a warm/basking spot... my girl likes to sit under her lamp until her body temp is into the 90s. I'm not sure if your tortoise is in a temporary set-up while your sister babysits, or if this is your tortoise's regular home, but you might want to double-check your temps vs. the care sheet in the Hermann's forum on here... I'd hate for you all to have to go through the same stressful experience again. :)

Teesh

Whew, that's a relief! I'm guessing from your picture that you have a Hermann's tortoise? I do too, they're so cute and personable. I'm glad the extra heat helped, because 80 seemed a little low to me for a warm/basking spot... my girl likes to sit under her lamp until her body temp is into the 90s. I'm not sure if your tortoise is in a temporary set-up while your sister babysits, or if this is your tortoise's regular home, but you might want to double-check your temps vs. the care sheet in the Hermann's forum on here... I'd hate for you all to have to go through the same stressful experience again. :)
It's actually a Greek! Thank you for responding,and I'm actually going to purchase a very big enclosure for him 6' x 2' and he actually is only 4 inches big! But I'm going to change all the temperatures, hot basking 90-95 warm 80 and cool 70-75!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He stopped! Thank you !
I don't believe turning the heat up would have corrected the squealing, same as the temps you had wouldn't have caused it either. Keep a very close eye on him. While they are soaking him, tell them to make sure he is in a large enclosure, like the tub, so he has can move around a lot. Even making him swim a little to get him moving. The movement sometimes will help pass things through if they are having a hard time pooping or possibly a stone.

Teesh

I don't believe turning the heat up would have corrected the squealing, same as the temps you had wouldn't have caused it either. Keep a very close eye on him. While they are soaking him, tell them to make sure he is in a large enclosure, like the tub, so he has can move around a lot. Even making him swim a little to get him moving. The movement sometimes will help pass things through if they are having a hard time pooping or possibly a stone.
Ok and thank you!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Was it silent screaming, or actually making the squealing noise?
Tidgy, my Greek, did silent screaming when I first got her, but that was neck pain.
She later did the same when passing spiky petioles from shepherd's purse, but nothing in the last few years, though she gasps sometimes when passing a particularly huge poop.

Teesh

Was it silent screaming, or actually making the squealing noise?
Tidgy, my Greek, did silent screaming when I first got her, but that was neck pain.
She later did the same when passing spiky petioles from shepherd's purse, but nothing in the last few years, though she gasps sometimes when passing a particularly huge poop.
A little squeal. Gone now!

Teesh

He is still doing this but it's more like strangewheezing!! It's 11:00 pm what should I do?