Swollen red eyes, squealing, opening mouth

Hollieb77

Location (City and/or State)
Scotland
Please help, my tortoises has been having swollen eyes which have gotten to a point that they are bulging and are looking pink/red, he has been squealing and jumping in and out of his shell as if he is sneezing/getting scared, I took him to the vet two weeks ago and they prescribed him antibiotics for 10 days , we are on the last day of them and he has been great until now, I am very worried as this is coming and going every few minutes, has anyone else ever experienced this before? I feel so bad for him :(

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We need a bunch more info before we could even begin to help.
Species
Enclosure type
Lighting being used, exactly
Heat being used exactly
Temps-all over, basking, night?
Diet
Substrate
Humidity
His often you soak
What did the vet prescribe the meds for?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Hi. Sorry your tortoise is sick. If he was mine, this is what I would immediately do at this critical stage: give him a long soak in warm water mixed with carrot baby food. At least an hour. Water level just to where his top and bottom shells meet. Watch him that he can't come out and doesn't tip over on his back. Then try to answer the crucial questions Wellington asked, to make sure his living conditions are all correct, especially the temperatures and lights in his enclosure. We will help you as much as we can, and the more we know, the better for your tortoise. Thank you!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Some pictures of the tortoise and enclosure would help too.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Please help, my tortoises has been having swollen eyes which have gotten to a point that they are bulging and are looking pink/red, he has been squealing and jumping in and out of his shell as if he is sneezing/getting scared, I took him to the vet two weeks ago and they prescribed him antibiotics for 10 days , we are on the last day of them and he has been great until now, I am very worried as this is coming and going every few minutes, has anyone else ever experienced this before? I feel so bad for him :(
Help us eliminate the potential causes of this by answering the questions that were asked.

Substrate, temperatures, and UV bulbs are three common causes of these symptoms, and pet shops almost always give terrible advice and sell the wrong products.