Recovering from RI

roughroad22

Location (City and/or State)
Qatar
My tortoise has been to the vet and prescribed oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. He's 7 days in, he started eating, however, he started making constant squealing noises when he’s awake. Is this a normal part of the recovery?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My tortoise has been to the vet and prescribed oral antibiotics for 2 weeks. He's 7 days in, he started eating, however, he started making constant squealing noises when he’s awake. Is this a normal part of the recovery?
What species?
How is it housed?
Was the CAUSE of the RI discovered and corrected? Treating the symptoms will be futile if you don't fix the problem that caused the symptoms.

roughroad22

Qatar
He’s a greek tortoise and the problem was most likely low temperatures. He’s been moved to a warmer place in the house 23-25°c. He’s in a 2x2m inclosure. His heat lamp broke and i'm awaiting a reply from the manufacturer to get a new one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He’s a greek tortoise and the problem was most likely low temperatures. He’s been moved to a warmer place in the house 23-25°c. He’s in a 2x2m inclosure. His heat lamp broke and i'm awaiting a reply from the manufacturer to get a new one.
You can use any incandescent flood bulb for a basking lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Would this do the trick for heat?View attachment 357926
No, and it would likely burn the tortoises eyes. You need an incandescent bulb. The old style. Cfl's like the one pictured, or LEDs, don't generate much heat.

Can you get Arcadia products there from pet sources? Arcadia sells incandescent flood bulbs, if you can't find them elsewhere like at a hardware store.