Spur thighed tortoise not eating/ not getting out of bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
For veterinarians that are qualified in the U. K. check out the world chelonian trust, Andy Highfields group. I believe they have a list of tortoise doctors and if not, a member of their group should be able to help you find one.

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
Cowboy_Ken said:
So…how goes things? Enquiring minds want to know…

Sorry! Internet went down for a week or so, but back now!
He's so much better! I've made his tent thing, and the temperature did go up a lot, but not enough! So bought a new bulb and i'm hitting 80 - 85 :D

DSC_0104.JPG

He's got his appitite back and is moving around a lot more, almost completly back to normal! I've also been giving him baths and this seems to have perked him up a bit!

DSC_0101.JPG

Thank you very all your help!
Happy New Year :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Aimee:

I changed your pictures. In the future, you copy/paste the code, NOT the HtML code.

I see a very big light problem. Your light is sending all its warmth straight out and it hits the side of the habitat.

You need to mount that light from above so it shines straight down. It would also help if you had it set in a bell type fixture, as the bell deflects the light and re-directs it downward.

I think your tortoise isn't eating because he's not warm enough.
[hr]
Sorry...I see I was late to the party. Ken, that thermal thingey was an inspiration. But I still think the light needs to be vertical not horizontal.

And sibi...its not a sulcata, its a Greek.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'm very happy to read your baby is doing better! My next recommendation would be to throw out those pellets as a substrate. Pellets will mold if you try to maintain any kind of humidity in the enclosure. I use a 50/50 mix of organic top soil and peat moss the top soil mix must have none of those little white pellets that are common. Babies will eat those and become impacted. You can then spray down the substrate which helps bring up your humidity as well as temps,(moist air is easier to keep warm than dry). Keep up the good work, you're on the way. Check out Tom's posts. He has very good information and explains things very clearly.

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
Cowboy_Ken said:
I'm very happy to read your baby is doing better! My next recommendation would be to throw out those pellets as a substrate. Pellets will mold if you try to maintain any kind of humidity in the enclosure. I use a 50/50 mix of organic top soil and peat moss the top soil mix must have none of those little white pellets that are common. Babies will eat those and become impacted. You can then spray down the substrate which helps bring up your humidity as well as temps,(moist air is easier to keep warm than dry). Keep up the good work, you're on the way. Check out Tom's posts. He has very good information and explains things very clearly.

Thank you! Ah i've really been struggling to find something for his enclosure, when I first got him, I was told to use straw, which when I looked up online, I found wasn't right at all! I then was told to use 50/50 sand and top soil, but it was always too wet (I realise now that the heat in his enclosure would dry it up!), but a reptile store told me that the pellets would be ok for a while. But I'll head out in the week to buy what you have said :) ! Ok, I will do! Thank you for the help

emysemys said:
Hi Aimee:

I changed your pictures. In the future, you copy/paste the code, NOT the HtML code.

I see a very big light problem. Your light is sending all its warmth straight out and it hits the side of the habitat.

You need to mount that light from above so it shines straight down. It would also help if you had it set in a bell type fixture, as the bell deflects the light and re-directs it downward.

I think your tortoise isn't eating because he's not warm enough.
[hr]
Sorry...I see I was late to the party. Ken, that thermal thingey was an inspiration. But I still think the light needs to be vertical not horizontal.

And sibi...its not a sulcata, its a Greek.
[/quote]

Oh I didn't realise! I just clicked insert, i'm new to this haha. But thank you! I'll have a look to see what I can do with the lightening!

Thalatte

5 Year Member
Glad to know he is doing better but here is my two cents: those stick on thermometer I see in the background are rather inaccurate. You would be better off getting either a infra red temp gun or a digital thermometer with a probe-ether one of this will be more accurate and help you control your torts environment.
Next is the way the bulb is positioned. With it being horizontal the heat isn't concentrated in a specific area and a is rather ineffective. If you can rig it so that the bulb is vertical it will concentrate the heat and make a better basking bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.