Spur thighed tortoise not eating/ not getting out of bed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimee264

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
I have had a spur thighed tortoise since April 2012, he is 2 years 3 months old. Up until the last month, he has been very active, doing laps around his tortoise table, and eating A LOT, but lately, he isn't coming out of his bed at all, and when I do get him out, he falls asleep and doesn't eat much, if anything.

I'm very worried and am wondering if anybody could give me any idea's on what to do? He has a diet of weed's and such from outside, as this is what I have been told is best for him, I also sprinkle calcium powder on his food. I've also noticed his eyes arn't as alert/bright recently, why would this be? Am I doing anything wrong?

I would be very grateful for any help and advice. Thank you.

Aimee :tort: :tort:

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Could be diet-related...When you say "a diet of weeds from outside" are these safe weeds? Can you name the ones you use? Could have been something toxic recently introduced...Give as much info as you possibly can about his setup, lights, temps, humidity, diet, soaking, etc. Has anything at all been recently changed? Temperature drop? Are his eyes puffy/swollen? Pictures would be helpful.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Can you provide us with your temp details? Perhaps a photo or two of your table as well.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
We really need the above questions answered before we can really try to guess what is wrong. In the mean time, give him warm water soaks with puréed baby food carrots in the warm soaking water. I would also say, you should take him to see a vet. Also, be sure he stays warm at all times. Times 85-90 in the entire enclosure.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
wellington said:
We really need the above questions answered before we can really try to guess what is wrong. In the mean time, give him warm water soaks with puréed baby food carrots in the warm soaking water. I would also say, you should take him to see a vet. Also, be sure he stays warm at all times. Times 85-90 in the entire enclosure.

Don't you think that's a bit warm for all the time.

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
RedfootsRule said:
Could be diet-related...When you say "a diet of weeds from outside" are these safe weeds? Can you name the ones you use? Could have been something toxic recently introduced...Give as much info as you possibly can about his setup, lights, temps, humidity, diet, soaking, etc. Has anything at all been recently changed? Temperature drop? Are his eyes puffy/swollen? Pictures would be helpful.

The weeds I have been using are ones such as dandelion leafs, i'm unsure on what a lot of them are called, but they're the same I have been using since I got him. Nothing has recently changed, I'm wondering if the general temperture in England has affected him? He has a heat lamp, but do I need something extra? I've just taken some picture's and I'll add them.. (sorry I'm new to all this!)

Right really having trouble uploading pictures, so i'm going to try again in a little bit

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
Cowboy_Ken said:
Can you provide us with your temp details? Perhaps a photo or two of your table as well.

I'm really unsure on the temperature actually, I have a heat lamp, is this enough? It is very cold here at the mo, should I have something extra for the winter?

I'm really trying to upload picture's but am having a lot of trouble!!

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
Cowboy_Ken said:

I'm really not sure what my temp is. I have a heat lamp, is this enough? It's a lot colder here now, do I need to get something extra for the winter?

I'm really having trouble uploading picture's but i'm trying! sorry

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
I would guarantee then, that is is because of a temperature change. You need to have the enclosure more temperature-controlled, possibly closed in. The entire area should be 85-90 with a basking spot of at least 95. It has very likely become to cold for him.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My temps for my baby sulcata are 85/90f. Under the basking light is 95/105f. In that you are using a table type habitat I would imagine your background temps are too cool. Can you cover it at all to help hold the temps in? Even a reflective space blanket set up like a tent should help. Or better yet, if you can move the table into a room that you can heat to 80f or so that would really help.
For loading the pictures, after it says loaded, click the insert inline option. That might help.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
It's important that you don't just guess at the temperature, this could be very dangerous. Temperature guages are not ideal, and you can order an Infra Red Temperature gun online for not very much. With any reptile, you NEED to know what the temps are in his enclosure at all times. I don't meant to scare you, but this could kill your tortoise. It's probably too cold in the enclosure, but this problem could be caused from a number of things. One thing is for certain, one of the best ways to get a sick tortoise healthy again is to make sure it is nice and warm. What kind of enclosure do you keep him in? What is the humidity like?

Help with your pictures: use tinypic.com and if you upload there it will give you an option for a link that is good for use on message boards or forums. Copy that link it provides you with and paste it right into your reply box, it will show up here.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
all the calcium in the world wont do any good without the proper light.. Sunshine is best...
What kind of lights do you have?

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
Cowboy Ken, that's a fantastic idea about the space blanket, I would have never thought of that... I'm so using that for my tent material in my new closed chamber enclosure! ;)

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
RedfootsRule said:
I would guarantee then, that is is because of a temperature change. You need to have the enclosure more temperature-controlled, possibly closed in. The entire area should be 85-90 with a basking spot of at least 95. It has very likely become to cold for him.

Sorry very slow internet this evening, managed to upload two pictures of enclosure so far on here!
jucors.jpg

2h6f2fs.jpg

14v42s8.jpg

Oh wow, so I think I need to really change this! I really do appreciate the help!

Cowboy_Ken said:
My temps for my baby sulcata are 85/90f. Under the basking light is 95/105f. In that you are using a table type habitat I would imagine your background temps are too cool. Can you cover it at all to help hold the temps in? Even a reflective space blanket set up like a tent should help. Or better yet, if you can move the table into a room that you can heat to 80f or so that would really help.
For loading the pictures, after it says loaded, click the insert inline option. That might help.

Hmm the reflective space blanket sounds a good idea, as my house can get pretty cold! Do you mean something on the lines of this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-EMERG...gGoods_HikingEquipment_RL&hash=item4d06fee205
Also what wattage heat lamp would you recommend?
thank you for your help!

Vegasarah said:
It's important that you don't just guess at the temperature, this could be very dangerous. Temperature guages are not ideal, and you can order an Infra Red Temperature gun online for not very much. With any reptile, you NEED to know what the temps are in his enclosure at all times. I don't meant to scare you, but this could kill your tortoise. It's probably too cold in the enclosure, but this problem could be caused from a number of things. One thing is for certain, one of the best ways to get a sick tortoise healthy again is to make sure it is nice and warm. What kind of enclosure do you keep him in? What is the humidity like?

Help with your pictures: use tinypic.com and if you upload there it will give you an option for a link that is good for use on message boards or forums. Copy that link it provides you with and paste it right into your reply box, it will show up here.

The humidity is pretty low as it is a very open enclosure, which I am now aware I need to make warmer, Ah!
I am really worried about his health, which is why I have come on here, I will defiantly look into the Infra red temperature gun! so thank you!

Laura said:
all the calcium in the world wont do any good without the proper light.. Sunshine is best...
What kind of lights do you have?

Very very hard to get sunshine in England :(! Especially in Decemeber :( I just have the one heat lamp

RedfootsRule said:

One last thing, finally got the close up picture of him :)
qx05lz.jpg

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Yes, that is the blanket I was thinking of. While it comes in a six pack use one or two for your tortoise, keep one in your cars boot, and give the rest to friends and family as gifts!
Vegasara, I call that redneckery at its best! I thought redneck-ken would have been derogatory so I went with Cowboy_Ken! LOL. yesterday, my woke was cold when she came home from work, so I grabbed the electric blanket I use to wrap the pipes with, washed it and put it on the bed hooked up to a repti-therm controller.

aimee264

5 Year Member
England
Cowboy_Ken said:
Yes, that is the blanket I was thinking of. While it comes in a six pack use one or two for your tortoise, keep one in your cars boot, and give the rest to friends and family as gifts!
Vegasara, I call that redneckery at its best! I thought redneck-ken would have been derogatory so I went with Cowboy_Ken! LOL. yesterday, my woke was cold when she came home from work, so I grabbed the electric blanket I use to wrap the pipes with, washed it and put it on the bed hooked up to a repti-therm controller.

Right, just bought it! haha very good idea!
What bulb wattage would you recommend? I really want to make sure I'm keeping him warm enough now!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
The wattage is specific for your needs. That's why the need for a temp gun. I use Powersun UVA/UVB self ballast lamps of both 100 and 150 wattage,(in different enclosures) but that's in my set up. Yours is different and unique to you and your needs will be different. To provide the background heat, I use a ceramic heat emitter hooked up to a thermostat.

Vegasarah

5 Year Member
I call that jimmy-rigging with the finest, Ken. ;)

Aimee, I am so glad to hear that you are here for information and to help your tort. Knowledge is power! We are going to do our very best to help you get your enclosure where it needs to be. When that happens, then you will know if your tort is actually sick or not! You had him over the warmer months where his table was probably closer to where it should be with heat. But when winter rolled around he couldn't handle the lack of heat.

Check this thread out for some great information as to why humid/ warm is so important. And you can see how the best of the best tortoise keepers and breeders here keep their torts happy and healthy. It really helped me understand it better: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-32333.html

Feel free to ask questions, there is no such thing as a stupid question. We are here to help! :)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Good advise. My suggestion. When you get your temp gun do not point it on your tort. It specifically states on the gun sends out radiation. also , below my signature there are some threads that will help with your setup, temps, and raising your baby sulcata...

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
First of all, I'd recommend reading Tom's threads o Caring for baby sulcatas. Next, I can tell you that your baby is too cold and looks dehydrated. You'll need to give him warm soaks 2-3 times a DAY for a little while until he gets better. Then, you need a heat lamp of 150 w because of the type of table you are using. If you manage to get the foil wrap, you can use a 100 w, but you'll need to monitor the temps often. As far as humidity is concerned, you may need to get a fogger to get humidity in the enclosure. READ TOM'S THREADS!! everything you need to know is there. Hope all works out for your baby. If he doesn't get better in a few day, or if you see bubbles come out of his nose or mouth, or if his eyes seem sunken in, get him to a vet who knows how to treat torts asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.