Springtails

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
M

Maggie Cummings

“Told my girl, I'd have to forget her. Rather buy me a new carburetor. So she made tracks saying, “This is the end now!" Cars don't talk back, they're just four wheel friends now!"

Nobody gonna take my car
I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car
It's gonna break the speed of sound
Oooh it's a killing machine
It's got everything
Like a driving power big fat tyres
and everything

I love it and I need it
I bleed it yeah it's a wild hurricane
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star!!!! Hi hi hiway STAR!!! (she sings with a big grin) quoted Deep Purple for you younger fans...probably not even born yet when Deep Purple was "Space Truckin"...now THAT was rock n roll...

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Nobody gonna take my car
Nobody gonna beat my car
It's got everything
and everything

I love it and I need it
Alright hold tight
I'm a highway star!!!! Hi hi hiway STAR!!! (she sings with a big grin) quoted Deep Purple for you younger fans...probably not even born yet when Deep Purple was "Space Truckin"...now THAT was rock n roll...

Holy Torts! ! ! ! ! !

Maggie.....:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

M

Maggie Cummings

IMG_3842.JPG
I'm starting to feel glad I'm almost on the other side of the country... maybe you should just bring your wife, too? The more the merrier!
What type of tort is Queen to want to eat little buggies? (or chase them about?) I'd go with the potting soil too. I'm sure thhere's at least one hardware store by you!

I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner, I don't like dirt as a substrate, I want cypress mulch or orchid bark, neither available in the PNW without pine or cedar.
Queen was one of the best rock groups ever, and Queenie is my herbivore Hermanni....

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I know that hitting them with straight vinegar will kill the springtails, but I'm not sure how that'd affect your substrate. I've used it to kill them in the past, but that was before I got a tortoise so I didn't have to worry about any tort/vinegar interactions. Hope that helps!

M

Maggie Cummings

I know that hitting them with straight vinegar will kill the springtails, but I'm not sure how that'd affect your substrate. I've used it to kill them in the past, but that was before I got a tortoise so I didn't have to worry about any tort/vinegar interactions. Hope that helps!

I tried a mixture of Dawn dish soap and vinegar in a spray bottle just under the tile food dish to see if it would work, and the tortoise couldn't get to that substrate. Didn't do a darn thing about the bugs. So now I have moved the turtles and have 3 drying lights on the substrate 24/7...the tort will be moved this week end. I am talking about 2 large tort tables and 4 aquariums of 250 gallons or bigger all with 7 or 8 inches of orchid bark. I have special needs turtles...BTW....I can't count the times I have said..."actually he's a tortoise" about my 100 pound Sulcata.;)

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
Nobody gonna take my car
Nobody gonna beat my car
It's got everything
and everything

I love it and I need it
Alright hold tight
I had a Deep Purple 8 trac !! How's that for a trip down memory lane?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Oh Maggie, you don't have springtails in your tort enclosures.... You have torts in your springtails enclosures!

@Cowboy_Ken was right btw...It'd be a 10 or 12 hour round trip, road trip to Medford cuz 4hrs here, 4 hours back AND I'd make you guys visit with me for a few hours too :p

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Oh Maggie, you don't have springtails in your tort enclosures.... You have torts in your springtails enclosures!

@Cowboy_Ken was right btw...It'd be a 10 or 12 hour round trip, road trip to Medford cuz 4hrs here, 4 hours back AND I'd make you guys visit with me for a few hours too :p
Maggie will confirm, I don't stop talking either. A good time would be had by all.

the_newzie

5 Year Member
las vegas
I am talking about 2 large tort tables and 4 aquariums of 250 gallons or bigger all with 7 or 8 inches of orchid bark. I have special needs turtles...BTW....I can't count the times I have said..."actually he's a tortoise" about my 100 pound Sulcata.;)
Wow, that's a huge project!!! I hope you get it all sorted out! Best wishes and good vibes to you and your "turtles". Lol. "Actually it's 'tortoises'" :)

M

Maggie Cummings

I had a Deep Purple 8 trac !! How's that for a trip down memory lane?
Wow, that's a huge project!!! I hope you get it all sorted out! Best wishes and good vibes to you and your "turtles". Lol. "Actually it's 'tortoises'" :)

Actually, I do have a small colony of box turtles and they have the most Springtails. I only have one tort in the house this winter, and he also has them.....
Believe me, I am so irritated by anyone who calls a tortoise a turtle..."Look at that big turtle"...If Bob heard that he would be so insulted....