Springtails

• Thread starter Maggie Cummings
  • Start date
M

Maggie Cummings

I know they don't hurt anything. But they are getting out of hand, climbing out of the habitat and wandering around on the lid, if I wash their dishes I get bugs on the counter. I'M SICK OF SPRINGTAILS....
They walk all over the turtles and get in their eyes....What do do? Can't change the substrate, it's not the season here that anybody even carries topsoil now. So I have to use the current stuff MINUS the bugs....
BTW Queenie spends her day chasing after them, digging in the substrate and eating the darned bugs....too funny....she's SO active. She did the same thing when she had ants. Chased'em down and
and ate them.
Any ideas?
Now, tell me if this is just too much....IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3797.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Ew. Sorry Maggie. Wish I were closer so I could take you some new bags of substrate. Can you find potting soil anywhere up there? I use that in a pinch when I can't get orchid bark. Look for the cheapest, generic potting soil you can buy, but read the ingredients to be sure it doesn't have perlite in it. I find that K-Mart's brand is good.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Ew. Sorry Maggie. Wish I were closer so I could take you some new bags of substrate. Can you find potting soil anywhere up there? I use that in a pinch when I can't get orchid bark. Look for the cheapest, generic potting soil you can buy, but read the ingredients to be sure it doesn't have perlite in it. I find that K-Mart's brand is good.
I believe the closest Kmart is around Medford.
Maggie, road trip to visit Heather? Heck fire, I'll drive and I won't even insist we take the IROC! But we will be hearing my messed up music all the way down and back…!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Maggie, road trip to visit Heather? Heck fire, I'll drive and I won't even insist we take the IROC! But we will be hearing my messed up music all the way down and back…!

God Bless you Ken. You always come to the rescue. You are a true hero in my book.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
God Bless you Ken. You always come to the rescue. You are a true hero in my book.
Steven, thank you very much. Maggie knows me though and knows I was funnin'. That would be, I think, a 10-12 hr. round trip. Thinking neither she nor I would be up to that. And then there's that music I like !

M

Maggie Cummings

To Medford? May be 12 hours when you drive but it's only 4 or less when I do. Heck, it's only 190 miles...but it looks like we've talked my friend into bring me bags of orchid bark when he comes next week...I'd be up to a road trip Ken, but would you listen to Queen and Led Zeppelin???

M

Maggie Cummings

We may be hicks here in Corvallis but we have a Home Depot, a giant Wilco, and surprise....a K-Mart...in fact, we have an A&W too!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
To Medford? May be 12 hours when you drive but it's only 4 or less when I do. Heck, it's only 190 miles...but it looks like we've talked my friend into bring me bags of orchid bark when he comes next week...I'd be up to a road trip Ken, but would you listen to Queen and Led Zeppelin???
Those are some good musical choices indeed. Love me some led zeppelin, oh man and CCR. Woo yeah.

Prairie Mom

ummm...I'm thinking I need to go and find some bugs in my substrate, so I can come too!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
His wife would NEVER allow him on a road trip with me...
Only because she knows me oh too well and and has a pretty good inkling of you!!! Hell, you know me, as socially repressed as I am, I've got tortoise/reptile connections from Seattle to just south of San Diego. Day 4 it would stop being a road trip. More Chevy Chase “Vacation"!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hahahahahaha "..........

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I'm starting to feel glad I'm almost on the other side of the country... maybe you should just bring your wife, too? The more the merrier!
What type of tort is Queen to want to eat little buggies? (or chase them about?) I'd go with the potting soil too. I'm sure thhere's at least one hardware store by you!