1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Spring seed planting in Southern California!

Discussion in 'Tortoise Diet and Food' started by RosemaryDW, Dec 8, 2018.

1. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Location (City and/or State):
    Newport Coast, CA
    Oh my gosh we finally have had some real rain. In the hopes that we get more, I’ve thrown out various seeds. With any luck they’ll be ready to eat when Addy comes out of hibernation.

There is always some of Tyler’s seed mix (that bag is going to last forever!). The only thing that grew in last year’s drought were a couple of chia. :(

I’ve been saving a package of a California “foothill” flower mix, which contains many flowers I remember from growing up near the foothills. My absolute favorite is in there: goldfields. It’s a tiny sunflower that covers the ground like...well, gold! We had a few the year before last, when we had crazy rain. She didn’t care for it so this one is just for me!

I collected some regular weeds earlier this year: various thistles, bristly ox-tongue, filaree, and mallow. I can always count on thistles.

I’m not much of a gardener. I throw a ton of seeds out, dig a few into the ground with my foot, and hope that some will make it. Crossing my fingers!

Is anyone else putting out seed yet?

Look at these goldfields! How can you not love them?

20CC3D10-F474-4ABE-B3CE-C79927A95119.jpeg
    BeeBee*BeeLeaves likes this.
  2. NorCal tortoise guy

NorCal tortoise guy Well-Known Member

Northern California
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    I have been thinking I need to putt some seed out but have not yet
  3. daniellenc

daniellenc Well-Known Member

Maryland
    So jealous in my neck of the woods we can’t plant until April.
  4. RosemaryDW

RosemaryDW Well-Known Member TFO Supporter

Newport Coast, CA
    I bet you get some rain, though! :)

Last year was so dry I wouldn’t pick anything that was native to my area; I figured our local animals and bugs needed them more than my tortoise. :eek:
    BeeBee*BeeLeaves likes this.