Letting canary seed grow in my tortoisariums...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
Where I dump the seeds from my cararies' cages, the non-eaten seeds are growing nicely, and my torts REALLY want to check 'em out!

Anything in a typical canary seed mix that might grow something problematic? Ingredients seem to be:

White Millet, Canary Grass Seed, Rape Seed, Golden German Millet, Red Millet, Flax Seed, Niger Seed, Oat Groats, Sesame Seeds, Anise Seed, (in varying degrees, presumably).

Thought I'd plant up the enclosures over the winter, along w/ various weeds, while they're living inside, so that by spring, there'll be a nice variety to graze upon.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, the tortoises can eat all that stuff, but they usually aren't too interested in it...at least mine aren't.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
No, the tortoises can eat all that stuff, but they usually aren't too interested in it...at least mine aren't.

My 4 chowed down in a big way a little while ago, while my daughter yakked on her cell phone...glad it's safe! :cool:

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I have a bunch of birds (wild ones) that I feed wild bird seed to ....I fill a big plastic plant saucer in the am and then in the pm and I toss a few handfuls around on the ground for the shyer ones...well the seeds have grown in some of the patches around the front porch and while my torts don't seem thrilled....my friend Mr. P the peacock LOVES to eat the growth.... :D I was thinking about getting a grow light to put over the Redfoots enclosures and toss some in there to see what grows???? they may or may not eat the stuff but perhaps will give em some where else to muck around in as well as help with the humidity... :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Mine eat the growth from this type of seed mixture.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I know what im going to do at work tomorrow now, bring some bird seed home, courtesy of my horrid, boring overweight piece of ****** that calls himself a human and a boss. :D:D:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.