Winter seed sowing in urban Southern California

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
We have a very small patio yard that is planted with California natives. Our Russian can, and does, safely eat what's growing but our plants are still young; we'd rather she doesn't eat them to the ground! We've also got a sliver of mostly shaded, highly impacted clay on the other side of the house. It's pretty easy to locate good foods here but it would be nice to have immediate access to food. Some days I want to take a regular walk, not forage for weeds!

I potted some of Tyler's testudo broadleaf mix last year. It's a great mix but not the best one for us. About the only plants I couldn't easily replicate were the clovers, which the little stinker will graze in the yard but ignore if they are simply provided for her. It was also waaaay too attractive to snails and bugs in our dry climate. :mad: I need something weedier!

The side yard isn't good for much but does produce a few weeds. I seeded it over with crimson clover in the hopes it will improve the soil for future years. Might have to repeat that several times to see real change.

I've got a few planters of decent soil out there as well and those received a partial shade mixture of California native flower seeds. If the clay ever loosens up, that's what I'd like to keep out there.

In the "real" yard I tossed out seeds from weeds I gathered in the summer along with some purchased true dandelion seeds. They should be grown in enough to get her attention buy the time she comes out of hibernation. She kept the few she found last year grazed down to the ground so they aren't a nuisance. Easy enough to pull if not.

A friend potted some cactus for her. Not sure if we'll plant it; it's doing quite well in the pot.

If nothing does well, I won't feel bad about it, not having invested much effort. My pitiful efforts at growing last year definitely left me impressed with what it must take to keep tortoises fed in harsher climates.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's hard work, but you can loosen up that soil in the side yard by digging. Turn it over with a shovel, add some soil amendment or bought garden soil, then turn it over and chop it up with the shovel.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I don't need the weeds that bad, lol!

Actually, my husband filled up most of it with tiny pieces of broken concrete so it wouldn't be just dirt. I'd have to get down a chip each edge out. We didn't foresee the need for a weed sanctuary!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't need the weeds that bad, lol!

Actually, my husband filled up most of it with tiny pieces of broken concrete so it wouldn't be just dirt. I'd have to get down a chip each edge out. We didn't foresee the need for a weed sanctuary!

That's always the way it goes. Years ago I cut up a bunch of twigs from my tree pruning (we're talking A BUNCH) and spread them out in my manure pile (I had horses and I spread their manure out in a 10' x 50' section of land). Over the years, after the manure had decomposed, I realized what nice, rich dirt it had turn into. I started digging it up to use in garden beds, etc, and those little pieces of tree twigs were still in there making it awfully difficult on the shovel.

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
I didn't foresee the need for a weed sanctuary either. When we moved in, the lawn looked nice. Over time, it got weedier and weedier. I was out there picking weeds and could never keep up. It accidentally turned into a perfect feeding ground.

We don't have great soil but I guess it must be better than what you have. Too bad tortoise poop doesn't turn into great soil.