Sprayed for mosquitos

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
My city sprayed for mosquitos last week. It's rained a few times since then and I'm wondering if it is safe or when/if it would be safe for her to graze? I have a big pen that I put her in sometimes

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I hope you get an answer on this it is something I have wondered about too.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What poison did they use for mosquito treatment? Did they do it by driving around in truck with manual sprayers or did they do the helicopter spraying?

Maverick

5 Year Member
Me too :) as I type this a truck with what looks to be a gas powered mister is spraying my street.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
I hope you get an answer on this it is something I have wondered about too.
Yes me too, it would be really to bad if it turns out she can't be outdoors .. She loves it outside. I thought maybe because its rained that it might be ok

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If the tortoise enclosure/yard is directly in the line of that poison spraying, I would move the entire location of the enclosure/yard straight away...without hesitation. If the spraying is going on within wind blowing distance and the poison can be distributed by wind or water, I would not allow the tortoise to graze in that location....I also would not allow mud wallows or soaking dishes there either....You likely can contact the city and find out what their normal poison used is.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even if we knew what chemical was used, there is no way for anyone on this forum to do anything but guess about toxicity levels. I would be raging mad if my city did this anywhere near my property without my consent.

The only way for you to know if it is safe out there is to collect samples and have them analyzed. I'd make the city pay for it.

Seriously! Who decided it was peachy keen fine to spray toxic chemicals all over the city? What about all the beneficial insect they are killing? Where does all the toxic run off end up when it rains? This is a barbaric, yet totally ineffective, disaster in my opinion. I cannot believe the idiocy of some of the people running our cities.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Tom, there is no way to stop vector and the city from spraying for mosquitos....due to the "potential hazard" of disease spread amongst humans by the bite of the mosquito....all the city is required to do is "notify" of their "intent" to spray and their "approximate" schedule to do so.

The worst was years ago when the helicopters sprayed malathion during the night hours.....they said no need to worry about the finish on your cars and no need to bring your animals indoors, yet they did suggest not leaving food or water out in the open...yet, when you went out afterwards, the cars had this disgusting thick sticky film all over and it would never come off all of the way....and I always felt bad for the animals that were actually left out during the poisoning.....

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yikes.. no one has ever bothered spraying for mosquitoes here. I think if it rained, it should have washed most of it off. You could also spray with a hose!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ascott is right Unfortunately. Not unfortunate that your right, but that they (city) have the right and are obligated to do so. I have never seen them, nor ever been notified, that where I lived that they did this. However, now that we moved a little further from downtown, I may have to deal with this problem. I have not gotten notice yet, and will contact some people if I ever do. Not sure if I can get my area/yard out of the schedule areas, but I sure will try. I do believe if you water the area down a lot, you can avoid a problem. The way a friend of mine explained it, they do her area, they drive down the roads and alleys (we have alleys) and spray, not pointing it towards anyone's yards. Truthfully, I think it's more going through the motion, more then trying to help a problem. In any event, here anyway, it's not a lot of it that's going to make the actual yards.
I agree Tom, they shouldn't have the right to do it and they should understand the harm they are doing and it's not too the mosquito.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I f you watch PBS they had a city person on many years ago the spray is made from soy beans and only harmfull to mosquito 's but I don't no if I'd believe them or not ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Even if we knew what chemical was used, there is no way for anyone on this forum to do anything but guess about toxicity levels. I would be raging mad if my city did this anywhere near my property without my consent.

The only way for you to know if it is safe out there is to collect samples and have them analyzed. I'd make the city pay for it.

Seriously! Who decided it was peachy keen fine to spray toxic chemicals all over the city? What about all the beneficial insect they are killing? Where does all the toxic run off end up when it rains? This is a barbaric, yet totally ineffective, disaster in my opinion. I cannot believe the idiocy of some of the people running our cities.
We dont have a choice if and when they spray. They do it every year. It isn't going to change. U can ask to not have yr yard sorayed probably but I am on a city street where the rest is sprayed. No point me getting worked up about it now,, its done.
So there is not a safe amt of time passing since they sprayed to allow her in the enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Between this and the teenagers in FL, I am positively sickened with the human race right now!

Good thing I have you people to offset the bad ones. :)

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
I f you watch PBS they had a city person on many years ago the spray is made from soy beans and only harmfull to mosquito 's but I don't no if I'd believe them or not ?

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum
Yes I know, I would have thought people owning dogs and cats would be up in arms to change the regulations, but apparently not

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So there is not a safe amt of time passing since they sprayed to allow her in the enclosure?

We can't possibly know that. No one can without running some soil and plant samples through an analyzer. Especially if you don't know what chemical they've sprayed all over everything.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
Ascott is right Unfortunately. Not unfortunate that your right, but that they (city) have the right and are obligated to do so. I have never seen them, nor ever been notified, that where I lived that they did this. However, now that we moved a little further from downtown, I may have to deal with this problem. I have not gotten notice yet, and will contact some people if I ever do. Not sure if I can get my area/yard out of the schedule areas, but I sure will try. I do believe if you water the area down a lot, you can avoid a problem. The way a friend of mine explained it, they do her area, they drive down the roads and alleys (we have alleys) and spray, not pointing it towards anyone's yards. Truthfully, I think it's more going through the motion, more then trying to help a problem. In any event, here anyway, it's not a lot of it that's going to make the actual yards.
I agree Tom, they shouldn't have the right to do it and they should understand the harm they are doing and it's not too the mosquito.
Oh that's right. I remember my sister said she saw trucks in the back alleys. The enclosure is in the front yard. I can move it around which is handy. Its rained here a few times the past week, so I will soak the lawn really well

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
The insecticide Pro Malathion ULV® will be used. This insecticide has been approved for use in Canada by Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency. Pro Malathion ULV® will be used in accordance with federally approved label directions by licensed pesticide applicators.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Manitoba Canada
What poison did they use for mosquito treatment? Did they do it by driving around in truck with manual sprayers or did they do the helicopter spraying?
This one:
The insecticide Pro Malathion ULV® will be used. This insecticide has been approved for use in Canada by Health Canada’s Pest Management Regulatory Agency. Pro Malathion ULV® will be used in accordance with federally approved label directions by licensed pesticide applicators.