[split] Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.

debrastoy

5 Year Member
Hello have 2 older red foots male is 8 1/2 lbs female is 19.9 lbs both 13 years old and 2 1 year olds love Tortoises

debrastoy

5 Year Member
I am trying too find out if anyone knows how too keep Mosquitoes off my tortoises I lived in Florida and there outside all the time mosquitoes are always around them please help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
debrastoy said:
I am trying too find out if anyone knows how too keep Mosquitoes off my tortoises I lived in Florida and there outside all the time mosquitoes are always around them please help

Welcome! Mozzies on torts, eh? I can ask my Mom and friends. We used to have torts in Brazil, but I don't remember having any issues with mozzies.

You could try marigolds, a natural mozzy repellent. That's how the birds here keep the mozzies off of themselves. I found that out the hard way. [DISAPPOINTED FACE]
http://eartheasy.com/blog/2011/04/5-easy-to-grow-mosquito-repelling-plants/

Good luck!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

debrastoy

5 Year Member
Well they have free roam of my back yard 80x 50 area I know they hang on the shells an whipping there heads with there legs just feel bad I was wondering if anyone had used some thing

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
How often do you change the torts water? You may have to change the water more often, cause skeaters love old water.

debrastoy

5 Year Member
Thanks I'm going to bring the in and we are going to fog the yard it's been so wet this year and we live around water I think I'll hang some repellent were they hang out the most does anyone else have a tort that you scratch their shell on back end it looks like he dances ?
its cute

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Please understand that using insecticide will require you to keep your tortoise off the area until the poison dissipates. This could take weeks or even months. Ask the representative, and then ask the person that does the chemical fogging how long before you should allow a human toddler to crawl around your yard, and use that information as a guideline.

debrastoy

5 Year Member
Thanks again I will ask fist and I think I'll go buy a lot of marigolds but before I do that are they ok if they eat them

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
debrastoy said:
Thanks again I will ask fist and I think I'll go buy a lot of marigolds but before I do that are they ok if they eat them

Sorry, should have been more specific: The birds don't actually eat it. They just roll in it and make a huge mess! My neighbour just takes a flower and rubs it all over her arms and legs; keeps the mozzies away quite effectively. I haven't tried it myself, as I have no need for mozzie repellent; they're just not attracted to me. I'd test it for you--on my hubby--but we're having colder temps and strong winds, here; no mozzies.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM] & Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] (Darwin & Wallace)
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Nedy

5 Year Member
Wichita, KS
For what its worth, a Dryer sheet will repel mosquitoes too. I always tuck one into my shirt pocket when I work in the garden and I tie one on my dog's collars when we go for walks in the woods. They definitely work and I doubt they have anything as dangerous as the commercial mosquitoe repellents. After all, people use dryer sheets everyday for clothes and linens - even baby clothes.
I don't think it would hurt your tortoises to tape one to their carapace just to see if it works. I know mosquitoes can bite through the scales on a birds legs - not sure about tortoise scales, but dont' most tortoises have areas on their upper legs that are not protected by scales?
Just an idea.

debrastoy said:

debrastoy

5 Year Member
Thank you I'm off to try that out will let you know what happens

Well I had to wet it a it but so far it looks good for him but I'm l bit up should have used it first well worth if it work to keep them off fingers crossed

Status
Not open for further replies.