The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Tortoise breeding

Is something like this an option?
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-30683.html

Kiddie pools are so small. Having real earth and grass and weeds under their feet is such a good thing. You could build any size or variation of this sort of set up. For breeding you could remove one of the blocks that divide the enclosures to give the male access for a day or two and then separate them again. Some people report better results using this method, as opposed to leaving them together full time.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
RE: Tortoise breeding

Thanks Yes that will be my backup plan.this is cheaper. This is the kiddie pool I'm talking about would this work?

It will be filled to the top with dirt and
Pool on top would act as a wall (half cut off for sunlight)

Attachments

• image-116170703.png
    image-116170703.png
    119.2 KB · Views: 15

WoofWolf

5 Year Member
RE: Incubator Question: What To Put Eggs In?

russiantortoiselover1 said:
I have like an 8in female and a male I'm trying to breed and ppl say to separate them. What did you do?keep them together all the time? Ppl say that's too stressful I'm so confused!!!
Can you tell me your conditions
Like outside or indoor enclosure? one male one female?
I wAnt some baby torts but ppl say I should separate them.
What should I do?
My female is definitely big enough to take care of herself but I don't want her to get sick from stress
I'm a newbie sorry I'm asking so much :0

Mine are about that size

I'm fairly new to this Forum as well, but have raised Russians for a while. I've incubated eggs successfully in past, too. I've now asked for Forum help in getting a definitive answer re: covering or not covering the egg container when it's in the incubator.
If you have 1 male and 1 female, yes: Sometimes the male will pester her constantly and you'll need to separate them so that she'll have peace. If you have 1 male in with 2 or more females, that takes pressure off of the females because his affections are spread out among the various sister wives. In the case of my pair, he hasn't been amorous to the extent that it's bothered her. He has him moments, but it's not every day. They're most often just gentle little friends. Too, they live in an outside pen in the warm months and in a 4' X 6' trough in the Winter, and she's able to get away whenever she wants -- as is he.
Bottom line, I guess, is that you just have to be attentive. If your guy is constantly bothering your girl, keep 'em separated to the extent that you need to so that she can have a happy, peaceful life. One "fix" is to divide their pen/container with a barrier/wall of some sort which you can take out or put in depending on their levels of friskiness.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
RE: [split] how long to have male with female

I have two females but one is not mature can I still put them together to have 1 male to 2 females?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas

Well if you know the females egg cycle of when she drops, place the male with her a month or 2 before she drops so he can fertilize the eggs. Females will typically develope their egg cycle and stay with it very consitantly each year.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

No I don't know first time breeding I have them separate now she is defiantly big enough to fend for herself and he hasn't hurt her the times I've kept them together when do most normally lay (it's a Russian)

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
RE: Tips in tortoise breeding

Practice ….Patience ……Disappointments ….and pure Joy! :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

You'll get better responses if you can be a little more specific with your question. Nobody wants to spend an hour typing when they aren't even sure what you want to know about breeding.

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member
Immature female

Can I have my immature female, mature female and mature male together? I put them In a bigger cage so he's not bothering her as much I just don't want her eggs bound if he started noticing her more. I'm not trying to breed my immature female jut my mature pair. But you know things happen
-thanks

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California

Start with a male and female:D Couldnt help myself. 2 or 3 females to 1 male usually helps. What kind of torts ?

russiantortoiselover1

5 Year Member

I just wanted to know if there were any tricks to get my female to lay or just anything that would make the process faster and easier. Just some breeding wisdom I've already read every site there is on tort breeding and they are Russians
1 Mature male
1 mature female
1 immature female (not trying to breed her but she's in the cage is that a problem?)

princessdreamsxxx

5 Year Member

You need at least one male to 3 adult female of good weight and size to carry the eggs as the eggs take a lot out of the female, a good setup not too cramped with a place for the females to retreat as a stressed female will not lay and a male that does not just hump he has got to show his stuff if you know what I mean lol but keep the calcium supply up for the females these are the basics anyway there is a lot more to it but you need to start somewhere

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona

Breeding tortoises is easy. What is more important, in my opinion, is starting the hatchlings off "right". This can be tricky for some and requires experience and education.

If your tortoises reproduce, chances are you will have the responsibility caring for the hatchlings for however long until you sell them or whatever you decide to do with them. We often discuss here how critical the first few days, weeks, and months are to establishing a tortoises health and growth pattern. To give your tortoises the best chance for survival and optimal health, I would recommend raising a few from a young age (if you have not done so already) and apply that experience to the tortoise bred under your care.

Status
Not open for further replies.