Breeding group of horsefields. Advice please

The caretaker

Location (City and/or State)
Sunderland Tyne & wear UK
Hello everyone
I am new to keeping a breeding group of horsefield tortoise I have only had these since April this year.
My question is do I separate the males from the females after they have mated or do I just keep them together all the time.i normally separate the males if the females start digging a nest.I have 3 females and 2 males. I look forward to your replies on your advice and opinions.
Derek

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. I am also fairly new at this. I had a 1.3 group this summer, and I watched them very carefully for any problems. I also removed the male when a female was nesting, if he was bothering her. That was the only time I separated them though.

The caretaker

Sunderland Tyne & wear UK
Thanks. That's only time I separated the males if they were pestering the nesting females. I look forward from hearing advice from other breeders opinions as well. As I am new at this all advice would be most welcome. Thank you

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It really depends upon how big their habitat is. My Russians live outside year round (except they hibernate indoors), in a pretty large (for the number of tortoises in there) yard. I don't separate them.

But if your habitat is not very big, then I think you should separate them.