Spike the Tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilburger

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself and my tortoise, Spike. I've had Spike for a couple of weeks but haven't gotten around to sharing him with you yet! Spike is a baby cherryhead redfoot tortoise. He will be living in my science classroom this year, along with our two hatchling diamondback terrapins, Squirtle and Claxton (not pets- in MA they are a threatened species so they will be released into a nearby estuary in June, if they grow enough). My students are ecstatic about having turtles/tortoises in the classroom, they love to feed them and are really excited about making "salads" for Spike once he comes in. Spike is not spike-y, but he is named after the dinosaur Spike from Land Before Time... I always thought that he made dead grass look so delicious, and he's cute, too!

Anyway, thanks for all the pre-baby advice! I'll post pictures of Spike ASAP... he's really cute ;)

Emily

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I Emily, I have a CH too. We were going to name ours SPike also, but since I had to sit through all the Land Before Time movies, more times than I can count, I just couldn't do it. LOL

lilburger

5 Year Member
Haha yeah, those movies are wicked cheesy. I only really liked the first one, when I was very young. But still like the name Spike :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Welcome. Looking forward to pics. Can we see the diamond backs too? I've always loved those. My buddy used to keep a whole gang of them. He had four different types, if I remember correctly.

micki

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
uk
welcome to the forum.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Emily:

619685sj1ahlwav8.gif

to the forum!

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Welcome Emily, Where in MA???
I live there also, Belchertown, and have Redfoots also!!
Na

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Welcome! :D

Good luck with your class pet. It will be an excellent opportunity for the students to learn that tortoises, though enchanting creatures to observe, are not low-maintenance pets! Hopefully you can divide up the care routines among the students so you aren't in charge of all the details. :p

And, I do have to say, that "The Land Before Time" was the first kiddie videotape I ever bought; my now-22-year-old-son used to beg me to turn it off at the end before the "sad" song (during the credits) came on, or he would cry! ;)

lilburger

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, thanks for the welcome! Nay- I live on the South Coast of MA, between New Bedford and Cape Cod. I'm bringing the terrapins home for break so I'll post pics of them and Spike today :) My students actually do most of the feeding and turtle care so far... I think they'll be more than happy to take over most of the responsibilities once I bring them back after Feb. break. We're all very excited, including Spike- I keep my classroom super warm, which makes me and my reptiles VERY happy....

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Hey, are you familiar with the DoubleTree in New Bedford? (Or crap is it Bedford)???
My brother's the chef there....
Students...care>>>> wow.. I can hardly get my son to pick up his clothes...
Good teaching! What age?
Na

lilburger

5 Year Member
Hmmm... not familiar with the DoubleTree. My students are about 12-13. They don't care about much (well, they do care about a lot- it's not the stuff I'm teaching them in class, though...). But for some reason they beg me to feed the turtles after school (and the fish too!).

How do I post pictures in the body of the message? Or should I just add it as an attachment?

lilburger

5 Year Member
Hope this works...

Spike
Spike.jpg

FoodBath.jpg

My terrapins

Squirtle
Squirtle.jpg

Claxton
Claxton.jpg

CameraShy.jpg

Sorry they're kind of big... but you get the idea ;)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
What adorable pets for your class to observe and maintain.

You may have already heard this elsewhere on this forum, but these critters "grow" on you...be careful, or you'll soon have your own herd at home. ;)

lilburger

5 Year Member
They're wicked cute, right? I do have to be careful... one at home is enough for now ;)

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
love the name! love the movie land b4 time. love ace ventura pet detective's pet spike.

spike, sara, petrie, chopper, ducky... :)

looong necks rule!

Status
Not open for further replies.